Songs you can't mix

for whatever reasons I have a lot of problems with arpxp - winter in sardinia, such a shame since its such a beautiful tune

Audio - Headroom for some reason cant ever find the right queue point

The cue point from 16 bars is quite poignant...has quite a big bass hit, then 8 bars later you get they "hey, hey, hey" before it drops.

Cueing from 32 before is quite tricky on that record I'll give you that.

anyone have any idea how to mix stray & halogenix - poison? i'm no music theorist but i'm pretty sure it has a strange time signature. none of the beats seem to be on the beat and the beatless intro doesn't help matters at all

I was having issues with Faithless - Muhammad Ali 2.0 High Contrast Remix, a funky number which I put in our new set the other day. It seems to start with a few bars perc before the track properly begins and if mixed from that initial perc start, the flow seems to easily fit in sync but appears out of cycle (if that makes sense). Had to practice a bit to get it to drop/transition in the position I wanted, which wasn't too bad as it happend to be the first mix in the recorded set, so it was easy enough to repeat without cocking up good run.

anyone have any idea how to mix stray & halogenix - poison? i'm no music theorist but i'm pretty sure it has a strange time signature. none of the beats seem to be on the beat and the beatless intro doesn't help matters at all

I think its in 3/4. Been a little while since I played it, but I do think there's a few bars of 4/4 intro before it switches up to 3/4, could be wrong though.

i'm no music theorist
I am :D

It seems like 3/2 all the way through to me, but there's basically no difference between that and 3/4 or 6/4.

Three time doesn't have to sound skippy or weird/out of time, (5/4, 5/8 and 7/4, 7/8 always sound pretty weird, but 3/4 and 3/2 are perfectly legit).

The only thing is three time is normally quite fast -think cheesy waltzes like 'that's amore' and 'the blue danube'
Examples of slower three time aren't as common but there are still fairly common.
Listen to these to get a sense of what slow three time is supposed to sound like:

(Squarepusher completely ripped this one off in 'dissolver' apart from his isn't 3/2)
(starts at 6.22)
(6/4 the whole way through, but the guy keeps slowing down just tiny amounts for effect)

The drop on this one is a bit wierd, everytime i try to double drop it i fail, hard!

First time I played this one I was suprised as well, but it's just the little riff before the drop is where you think the drop will be.
So or you just cut there, or just cue the track a bar after the actual beginning

Back
Top Bottom