Something really weird, need feedback (Drumstep)

Discussion in 'New Talent & Track Reviews' started by Amnestic, Apr 22, 2014.

1. Amnestic

Amnestic Member

Was messing around with a bunch of odd stuff. I was wondering what you guys think, and if it's worth working more on this.

2. smoothassilk

smoothassilk Active Member

It's messy.
    The amen sort of works by itself, but when you bring in the bass it just becomes really chaotic and muddy. I think glitchy beats only tend to work with really short hits without any tails on. The kick seems to have far too long a decay for this kind of thing. Generally speaking, the bigger and flabbier the drum hits, the fewer you use of them. I tend to use two samples of each kick and snare: a full weight one that I put on the important beats, and a ghost one that's lower volume for all the variation and interest.
    Also the break I feel is present too much of the time, I would use a different intro for contrast and possibly put a little bit of break in just before the drop.
    Good thing you're trying to do something different though. Sorry for being harsh. :)

Last edited: Apr 22, 2014
  3. MisterApe

MisterApe 8bit junkie

Weird is always good ;).
    But it does sound a tad bit muddy due to the bass, as was mentioned before.

Keep at it! :)

4. Amnestic

Amnestic Member

All good tips, I'll probably re-work this quite a bit when I have some time.

5. Nucleoid

Nucleoid Nucleoid Drum & Bass

Some more transients on the kick/snare would make them punch through a bit more and have the focus on the beat come out. I think some eq would do miracles too, and a bit of sidechain on the bass. All in all really cool thing, I like!

6. d'Art Fader

d'Art Fader Member

at first I thought it was messy, but there is a story in there, it kept me listening.
    It would be a nice track to end or start a DJ set...
    but no way you could throw this in in the middle of something, then you loose attention.

but I think the vibe is oke, although it's not my choice of style to listen to too much.

check out some of my tracks in the cloud!
    and if you dig, tell your friends to listen and repost them too.

https://soundcloud.com/dart-fader-1

d'Art Fader