Someone PLEASE explain this to me...

Discussion in 'Drum & Bass' started by thought&process, Mar 10, 2013.

1. thought&process

thought&process Noctem Audio

In all honesty I'm not sure of the reason behind this but anywho...

Been monitoring the beatport charts all week, and Mantis has a new EP that has topped the charts for the past few days. I just got around to checking it out and ran into an issue... The problem I have is not with the quality of the music or anything of that sort, even if it isnt a genre I'm particularly into. But could SOMEONE please explain to me why it is classified as drum and bass? The last track on the EP is 165... But that is literally it.
    http://www.beatport.com/release/epsilon-ep/1049476

Again, this has nothing to do with Mantis. He's doing what he needs to do obviously... The problem is with the OUTRAGEOUSLY prestigious label known as Play Me records... Sarcasm implied. I remember a time when they were signing almost everything thrown their way about 2 years ago or so.
    This may seem rather "tin-foil-hat" of me but I can think of 4 scenarios that could possibly explain this, maybe you lot can help me decide.

1. A genre is defined by BPM, not anything else (which is very false)
    2. Play Me records markets dishonestly, like a used car salesman, classifying tracks as another genre in order to advance their chart positions and increase sales (Smart? Yes. Honorable? Well...)
    3. They did absolutely no market research and have no idea what drum & bass is (Inexcusable as an EDM record label)
    4. They made an error when posting the details of one their artists albums (Extremely improbable, but like most things, possible)

I mean, is a genre defined completely by BPM? I mean, drum and bass itself was at one point even around 130 BPM, which is more commonly house/garage now, and has increased in speed as time has gone on... Or is Play Me legitimately exploiting the chart system in order to move more units because the dubstep charts are outrageously difficult to chart in in comparison...?

AGAIN: Nothing against Mantis or his music, I have a mutual respect for anyone who takes their music seriously.

2. ThePapa

ThePapa Suffragette City..

3. thought&process

They must have! If that's the case, I dunno whether to blame PM or their distribution company...

But if you're a label, and see an error like that, it's your job to make sure it gets fixed.
    If one of my tunes got posted as chillout/electro or something I'd be too pissed, as an artist.

But to your second point, Mantis must have been feeling edgy. Or something.

4. encounter

encounter Well-Known Member

jesus christ stop with the attention seeking shit. It happens all the time, get over it!

RUSSLA likes this.
  5. Harry3

Harry3 Chuki

looks like another case of sandy vagina

6. Shatner's Bosom

Shatner's Bosom murder TANMUSHIMUSHI

Genres can be a pretty subjective thing, have you thought about emailing Beatport? I emailed them once over something similar and they were incredibly unhelpful

7. Harry3

Harry3 Chuki

whys that stupid? just doing things a bit differently

8. evermind

evermind Broken Symmetry

9. TerrA_

TerrA_ Active Member

I lost an ear listening to this, thank you really.

10. GN4rB0oTzz

GN4rB0oTzz Active Member

i will give you money if you stop starting threads

RUSSLA, Smickus and DeeGun like this.
  11. ThePapa

Duh. Phrase could be applied to virtually anything and is therefore virtually meaningless.

The intro and outro belong to quite a good, high energy tune. Middle bit's been copypasted from a mellow tune. Makes it more of a collage than a single creation and kills any attempt to create a vibe. Fucking pointless IMO.

12. thought&process

see, this was something along the lines of what i was looking for. do you happen to know if it is indeed beatport who classifies them? because if thats the case it makes sense. i was under the impression that responsibility fell on either the label or its distribution company.

as for you, kind sir... i was asking a question, seeking some sort of an answer... of course i was seeking fucking attention... thats the POINT of asking something.
    not to mention, ANY thread you post in, let alone start, is in one way or another, you seeking attention.
    otherwise posting would be absolutely pointless. fucks sake.
    nowhere did i ever point to myself, nor anything i do, mostly because i didnt want to seem like some disgruntled dickhead trying to promote my tunes through a medium such as this. this is in no way about me.

since when did asking a question, or bringing up something, make you an attention whore?
    answer that for me now, seeing as my first question/thought wasnt up to par for your contemptuous way of viewing things...

and be sure to respond nicely because im obviously seeking your approval.

yeah probably.

then again, i keep forgetting, i am on the internet. where everyone apparently knows everything, and those who dont, dont deserve the right to find out but instead deserve to have their integrity questioned. because fuck knowledge...

13. DeeGun

DeeGun Church of Krust

This

and this :teeth:

14. jungle_fever

jungle_fever Well-Known Member

My little cousin is getting bullied at school and for me thats a problem. do you genuinely consider this a problem in your life? was it really worth typing out that essay?

fuuz3r likes this.
  15. OneSeventy

OneSeventy Mohican Sun

Is this guy Moonglow? His posts have a very moonish glow to them.

16. thought&process

you have no idea how much sleep ive lost over this and how much agony it has caused me...
    its made my life miserable, honestly. lost my house, car, my cousin steve, my darling wife left me... its been awful. really. and PLAY ME RECORDS IT TO BLAME!!!

im articulate, my apologies if that is a problem. i simply type out whatever is in my head, which happens to be a lot of words, as you can tell. that said, the length of the post doesnt mean that im over here losing my mind because of this, it simply was what i was thinking about.

look, if this came off like i was only posting for attention, thats partially right, if you take into account my post above. but honestly, it was just on my mind, and i wanted to know more. if that pissed any of you off, my apologies. that wasnt my intention. just had a thought, and i figured id share to see if you lot had anything to add. obviously, this isnt the place, and ill remember that moving forward. again, apologies.

17. ThePapa

Post a thread in waffle see what advice we can rustle up for you..

18. thembones

thembones Member

You should learn the meaning of this word before using it

19. encounter

encounter Well-Known Member

:word: :uberlaugh

:word:

20. Sublo

Sublo Member

All you need to do is subtract one from all the other entries and then you have the real chat positions.....easy! Not that it really matters...