someone help explain 3/4 4/4 triplets etc

SCC

pretty much as I said. I hear people going on about them all the time, i half understand but im not 100% just wondered if someone could shed some light. tunes with 3/4 can still be mixed into tunes which are 4/4 so whats the difference really?

err triplets and 3/4 time are different things man.
in musicians terms if u have a crotchet, fitting 3 quavers into it instead of 4 are triplets.
3/4 time is having three crotchets per bar instead of 4 so mixin that into a 4/4 time piece wuld be reaaallly difficult

tunes which are 3/4 can't be mixed into tunes that are 4/4

the tunes you think are in 3/4 are actually in 4/4

the tunes you think are in 3/4 sound this way because they are based on triplets; 12 or 6 beats in each bar to the 4 or 8 beats in each bar of a normal tunes; the beats as we feel them are different lengths but the bars themselves are the same, making both sorts of tunes in the same time signature, ie 4/4

hope that helps

djjjj said it much better then i did
technically u culd mix a 3/4 into a 4/4 tune if u wait for the 3/4 amount of bars to round of to a multiple of 4
but it wuld still sound pretty fuckin wierd :S

there's a track on asian dub foundation's album community music which is in 7/8. :)

also Bjork uses some interesting time signatures, phrasing.

There's loads of electronic artists that use 3/4 and other time signatures, but DnB and most other popular electronic genres are strictly 4/4 as far as I know... I could be wrong though, I haven't done music theory in a long time, but you can have swing beats in DnB, which gives it that 3/4 feel.

A lot of IDM uses weird time signatures, check out some Venetian Snares, he uses 11/4 time signatures in some of his songs.

like said they different things

3/4 is 3 beats in a bar in crotchet beats

4/4 is 4 beats in a bar in crotchet beats

tunes like bodyrock are 4/4 but have the swing because they are using triplets which instead of having 2 quavers to every one beat as usual, you fit three in. usually 3 quavers would equal a dotted crotchet

hope that helps

i'm a huge fan of dnb that uses triplets in 4/4 - they kind of have a "skip" beat which i find much more appealing and energetic. could anyone recommend any good tracks in a similar style to these?

Sub Focus - Timewarp
Chase and Status - Smash TV
Nero - Do You Wanna
Shimon - Vengeance

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom