Some Questions About Playing Live In Clubs

Bogs Dollox

Safe guys :wave:

When you dj at a large club or venue, can you use the same method for beatmatching as you would at home of just having one ear on the headphones with the incoming track playing and the other hearing the track playing throughout the club? Sorry if this is a stupid question but I've heard stories that in large venues there can be feedback / delay especially if there's no monitor in your booth, so if you've beatmatched an incoming track by ear, when you put its volume up it will actually clash with the already playing track. Or is this not the case and in any sized venue can you just beatmatch with the sounds you hear from the speakers playing to the crowd?

If this isn't what delay / feedback means then what does it mean?

if you've got a booth monitor, you'll be fine. it'll be just like 'at home'

if you haven't, you'll suffer.

if you've got a booth monitor, you'll be fine. it'll be just like 'at home'

if you haven't, you'll suffer.

Ok, why would I suffer is it due to sound delay? Any tips to get round it what do you do when you play out with no booth monitor?

depends on the setup. Playin a big club with a pair of fucked monitors ain't fun... but its a hell of a lot better than playin with none. Its a bit like stickin an F1 driver in a vectra and expecting him to not come last. Its do-able if hes got enough skill and luck but he would'v done a whole lot better in his ferrari. Good monitors = happy DJ

Another thing that can mess things up is if the needles r jumpin from evryone dancing - the better u play, the more people dance, the more the needles skip

Oh and don't forget about the MC! sometimes the mic ends up coming through the monitors or even worse ur headphones!

Ok, but why is it that you can't match the beat from the headphones to the beat playing to the club? Is it sound delay or what?

the way i see it is practice and experience. the only way to learn is the hard way i.e getting out there as much as pos because everywhere is different!!!

Ok, but why is it that you can't match the beat from the headphones to the beat playing to the club? Is it sound delay or what?

Yeah, speakers are pointing out into the crowd and not at you, the sound you hear has hit the back wall and bounced back to your ears, resulting in a small delay

Yeah, speakers are pointing out into the crowd and not at you, the sound you hear has hit the back wall and bounced back to your ears, resulting in a small delay

Is the delay long enough to mean that if you used it for a beat match then played your incoming track out loud it would be ridiculous clanging? Or just not quite as tight as you previously had it?

And I assume nearly every club will have a monitor facing the DJ - it would be in their interest seeing as not having one will result in pretty poor performance at their nights?...

if you make it djing out regular you'll come across some propa nightmare setups...no monitors, delay...delay happens regularly, if i dj on a setup with no delay i'm relieved lol
bad monitors which have too much treble mid or bass etc etc etc;

if u get a bad setup, deal wid da matter, djing on poor setups and decent ones is how it goes, if you get used to it its only a good thing :)

Is the delay long enough to mean that if you used it for a beat match then played your incoming track out loud it would be ridiculous clanging? Or just not quite as tight as you previously had it?

And I assume nearly every club will have a monitor facing the DJ - it would be in their interest seeing as not having one will result in pretty poor performance at their nights?...

It won't be ridiculous clanging, but if you play the same track through the headphones an speakers at the same time an monitor it through one ear you'll hear it sounds out of time with itself. Also without monitors the it will just sound muddy and muffled in the DJ booth, no clear snappy definition to the drums cos you've got the sound rebounding from all different angles and distances, its seriously hard.

But like you said, all clubs will have monitors, only time you're likely to find yourself without them is at house parties an shit like that

HEADPHONES, cant stress enough. ive had to play with some shoddy phones before where i can only just hear the tunes. invest in ya own pair of decent cans!!!!

How did the people who played at the dnbforum meetup shindig do? Cos I remember they said they had no booth monitors at 333 I think it was

How did the people who played at the dnbforum meetup shindig do? Cos I remember they said they had no booth monitors at 333 I think it was

Yeah there weren't any. You could see it was alot more effort and there were a few clangs but it was fine really, still some sick mixes.

I usually listen through the headphones when i've beatmatched it anyway, much easier and clearer to hear through them than from the speakers anyway.

Back
Top Bottom