Some D&B going for crazy prices on ebay: what's the deal?

kevferris

Been out of d&b for a little while, got back into it a bit and started browsing ebay for some tunes and happened to see certain tunes which i never thought were rare going for loads of money.

Capone (aka dillinja)- friday £31 http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CAPONE-DILLIN...ryZ58638QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

also seen this a few weeks before which went for 20 something

Then bad company the nine going for a minimum of £13 and maximum of £23

And the streets it's too late high contrast remix for £31! http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/THE-STREETS-I...ryZ58638QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Omni trio renegade snares high contrast remix £16 http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/THE-STREETS-I...ryZ58638QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

and the one that surprised me the most is ra! What's the deal, it's really not that old is it? It's going for between £14 and £24. I'm sure it's not that hard to find.

Anyone know any other dnb tunes going for big money on ebay? Had thought if i can get £20 here and there for tunes i hardly ever play i might as well.

What is going on? Who in their right mind would pay £31 for a 12" !! Has anyone here paid this kind of money? I personally am extremely reluctant paying £7 for a single 12" record.

Last edited:
Been out of d&b for a little while, got back into it a bit and started browsing ebay for some tunes and happened to see certain tunes which i never thought were rare going for loads of money.

Capone (aka dillinja)- friday £31 http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CAPONE-DILLIN...ryZ58638QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

also seen this a few weeks before which went for 20 something

Then bad company the nine going for a minimum of £13 and maximum of £23

And the streets it's too late high contrast remix for £31! http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/THE-STREETS-I...ryZ58638QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Omni trio renegade snares high contrast remix £16 http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/THE-STREETS-I...ryZ58638QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

and the one that surprised me the most is ra! What's the deal, it's really not that old is it? It's going for between £14 and £24. I'm sure it's not that hard to find.

Anyone know any other dnb tunes going for big money on ebay? Had thought if i can get £20 here and there for tunes i hardly ever play i might as well.

What is going on? Who in their right mind would pay £31 for a 12" !! Has anyone here paid this kind of money? I personally am extremely reluctant paying £7 for a single 12" record.
Most I'd pay for a single 12" is £8.

It's just supply and demand I'd imagine - if a group of people all want a certain tune and there's one on eBay it'll go high, next month nobody's interested anymore and the same tune goes for under a fiver. I think the only real way to ensure a good selling price is a proper rare tune or a highly sought after promo.

out of those the only one i can sort of understand is friday, but i'd never pay that kind of money for it. the nine was even repressed quite recently. i guess it all depends how much someone wants a certain record. i'm trying to get hold of a copy of star trails at the moment and realise i might have to pay over the odds, but if it's gonna cost me 20-30 quid i'd rather just but 4 or 5 new slices, you know what i mean!

Of course i understand about demand & supply, it's just silly though that someone would pay that amount for a 12" that you'll probably only play 10 times then get sick of it and hardly ever play it again. Well i know from my point of view when i get a new tune (not necessarilly just out but new to me), i'll probably play it a lot, but then stop playing it completely.

Sometimes it is luck as you mention for instance i had a dvd for sale on ebay a few months back for 4.99. No bids. Then, i relisted it for 3.99 next week, and guess what- it eventually went for £23, most i've ever sold a single dvd on ebay for!

I guess you're right safety in that if you want a record that bad you'll pay for it, but for me £31 is just going way overboard.

There's a good deal of early 90's hardcore and jungle that can sell for silly money on ebay...mainly tunes that were pressed in very limited runs (as breakbeat music was catching on at the time and there still weren't many people buying them) and were never re-pressed. Almost ALL old Dillinja plates go for $30+, older stuff on Good Looking, Ram, Creative Source, Foul Play, Photek tunes, etc. sell for big bucks.

I could only imagine what a copy of One Nation by Photek would sell for on ebay :teeth:

I think junglists are just sentimental fuckers, who have the misfortune of loving vinyl. well I am anyway .....

all about logistics remix of burial for £185:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/LEVITICUS-THE...ryZ58638QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

bet they didn't realise the vocal had been fucked with for the release.

That's insane! I can sort of understand old skool stuff that they may be limited pressings never to be repressed going for a lot. But £185! loco en el coco I mean would it not be cheaper just to pay for the mp3 then actually get it pressed somewhere? Maybe this is illegal, but where do bootlegs come from then?

Last edited:
is not about having the tune, but having the record. it might sound stupid from a dj's perspective, where he just needs music, vinyls are colectibles, and some records go for thousands of pounds. check some original beatles vinyls, big bucks there!
ive personally paid $45 for Kemal's "gene sequence", and i allready had a good mp3 copy of it. am i daft? i may be, but i got the time stamp of being into that shit when it was hot! (and other nerdy collectors shit,...!)

is not about having the tune, but having the record. it might sound stupid from a dj's perspective, where he just needs music, vinyls are colectibles, and some records go for thousands of pounds. check some original beatles vinyls, big bucks there!
ive personally paid $45 for Kemal's "gene sequence", and i allready had a good mp3 copy of it. am i daft? i may be, but i got the time stamp of being into that shit when it was hot! (and other nerdy collectors shit,...!)

I do get the point about having the actual vinyl, it's kind of like dvds, although i copy loads i have about 200 shop bought ones, and it's better having the actual original one than one that's copied, especially if it's a limited edition.

But as sdm says next week that rare tune could go for £5, obviously if a tune is really rare it will always fetch a decent amount of money but Capone-friday for instance- rare? I don't really think so, i mean we're not going to be seeing it in christie's in ten years time going for thousands. No offense to d&b, but i don't see how you can compare originally pressed beatles Lps with d&b tunes.

To be honest i've never heard of that tune you're referring to, is it actually rare? I doubt you bought it as an investment like the way people do buy properly rare things to keep for years to make money. And would you say looking back on it, that it was worth it?

My point really is that eBay has suckers (no offense to you gordo) who bid insane money for stuff that if you shop around you can get cheaper. See my point above,
ie selling a dvd for £4.99 - no takers, next week i stick it on for £3.99, then it goes up to £25~. I seen pan's labyrinth korean edition go for £60~ a few weeks ago on ebay, yet some of the exact same copies are going for £20 ish.

Last edited:
I do get the point about having the actual vinyl, it's kind of like dvds, although i copy loads i have about 200 shop bought ones, and it's better having the actual original one than one that's copied, especially if it's a limited edition.

But as sdm says next week that rare tune could go for £5, obviously if a tune is really rare it will always fetch a decent amount of money but Capone-friday for instance- rare? I don't really think so, i mean we're not going to be seeing it in christie's in ten years time going for thousands. No offense to d&b, but i don't see how you can compare originally pressed beatles Lps with d&b tunes.

To be honest i've never heard of that tune you're referring to, is it actually rare? I doubt you bought it as an investment like the way people do buy properly rare things to keep for years to make money. And would you say looking back on it, that it was worth it?

My point really is that eBay has suckers (no offense to you gordo) who bid insane money for stuff that if you shop around you can get cheaper. See my point above,
ie selling a dvd for £4.99 - no takers, next week i stick it on for £3.99, then it goes up to £25~. I seen pan's labyrinth korean edition go for £60~ a few weeks ago on ebay, yet some of the exact same copies are going for £20 ish.

how can i compare the beatles with dnb ?
because i got love for it, and id pay far more money for a dnb tune than any beatles vinyl.
and yes, some records price can do go up and down in days, but some classics always keep their value, and are sound investments.
yes, the record i bought was a sound investement, and id spend that money again and again for similar classics. not to say that i do it blindly.
i always check to see prices for he same release, and try to get the cheapest out of them.
bottom line is that dnb vinyls will never make you money by reselling them like you suggest, but instead buy them for the love of the music

Last edited:
I want to try and get alien girl but thats usually going for £25 whicj is stupid money for a 12". stakka and skynet's seminal album clockwork is listed for £80 and thats less than 5years old, (might sell my housemates copy - if i dont post for a while i sold it and he killed me)

But spending silly money on records is not without its risks my housemate paid £40+ for Dom & Rolands 1998 album Industry on ebay cus he could not find it anywhere, 6months later i found it in reckless records in camden for £15 using that old fashioned method of going to record shops and looking.

Are you for real, £97!!

I initially thought partly it went for so much 'cause it was a promo. I had a look at mine, which is a promo in good nick but i've written capone friday on the a side and capone- alaska on the b and it looks a bit shitty the way ive written it (cos my writing is shit), maybe that'll reduce the value of it!

how can i compare the beatles with dnb ?
because i got love for it, and id pay far more money for a dnb tune than any beatles vinyl.
and yes, some records price can do go up and down in days, but some classics always keep their value, and are sound investments.
yes, the record i bought was a sound investement, and id spend that money again and again for similar classics. not to say that i do it blindly.
i always check to see prices for he same release, and try to get the cheapest out of them.
bottom line is that dnb vinyls will never make you money by reselling them like you suggest, but instead buy them for the love of the music

Don't get me wrong i'm not attacking you. My point simply is, is that a beatles record first pressing etc is in my view a totally different ball game than drum n bass, what i mean is, look at the serious serious amount of people who love the beatles worldwide, i'm sure at least one person in your family likes the beatles or someone you know. I didn't mean you as such, as clearly you will value one thing more than another compared to the next person, i'm talking generally a beatles first pressing doesn't really compare to some underground dnb tune, well that's my thinking anyway. And my point about investments is people saying it's actually properly rare etc i'm saying well if it's repressed eg trust me being repressed will clearly reduce the value of it.

I want to try and get alien girl but thats usually going for £25 whicj is stupid money for a 12". stakka and skynet's seminal album clockwork is listed for £80 and thats less than 5years old, (might sell my housemates copy - if i dont post for a while i sold it and he killed me)

I have alien girl and hardly ever play it, but everytime i listen to it i think, it's a really good tune and don't want to sell it, but on the other hand £25 is a lot for one vinyl, but the funny thing about clockwork is i had it too and sold 4 vinyls from the 5 vinyl set. Years ago i was a bit silly, say if i had a double pack and only liked one tune i'd try and the sell the other half get some money back, as i'd think £10 for just liking one tune was a bit much, so with the stakka Lp i sold my mate the 4 vinyls and kept one of them, as he didn't like that one and i did. Think i sold it for hardly anything too!

Last edited:
Are you for real, £97!!

I initially thought partly it went for so much 'cause it was a promo. I had a look at mine, which is a promo in good nick but i've written capone friday on the a side and capone- alaska on the b and it looks a bit shitty the way ive written it (cos my writing is shit), maybe that'll reduce the value of it!

Yep £97 I couldn't believe it still can't:D

Usually Original copys sell for more than the promos do i think?! I'm sure anyone who wants this bad enough don't really care what the label says anyway. You can always stick a new label over the top!

I have a copy of Cutslo / Alien Girl in my shop currently on £15 if anyone's interested. There's also some other rarities, check it out:

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Crazy-Dancer-Records

;)

Back
Top Bottom