Drum & Bass some banging dnb here .. pls rate & comment!

Discussion in 'New Talent & Track Reviews' started by maschinistom, Feb 13, 2016.

?

sound good enugh?

1. yep

2 vote(s)
    66.7%
  2. nope

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. maschinistom

maschinistom Active Member

hey peeps! some banging drum n bass here :cool:
    let me know your comments, especially on mixing and mastering.
    cheers from tokyo !

2. smoothassilk

smoothassilk Active Member

The mix seems a bit loud and overly distorted, I personally like it cleaner (but still dirty if you know what I mean)

Otherwise it's quite a well constructed track, well structured and rhythmically good and all

3. maschinistom

thanks very much for your feedback, smoothassilk!!
    you exactly pointed out what i'm lacking in producing music .. mastering.
    i dunno how to get a loud but clear mix / master ... any suggestion?

4. WhoSayReload?

WhoSayReload? Well-Known Member

There's too much going on for me, too many switch ups in too little time

5. maschinistom

WSR, thanks for your comment !

6. EvezDroppin

EvezDroppin how to change name,......

it's clear you have a lot of good ideas man... As people have said the constant switch between beat types and stuff is a bit hectic.

Try building one drum kit up and can always play with the pattern a bit... just need a bit more consistency next time :)

maschinistom likes this.
  7. maschinistom

thanks evezdroppin, much appreciate you took the time to listen and feedback. you are right, too many ideas (and too little time to make tracks out of these, so they end up in one track). still, I think my biggest obstacle is still mastering, I cannot find a clear & loud mix. any advise?

Last edited: Feb 24, 2016
  8. EvezDroppin

i wouldn't worry about getting it loud... this is done by the mastering engineer. Having a clean mix is quite important and this is usually helped along by sounds that don't have clashing frequencies.

When I've finished the arrangement for my track I'll watch the signal db level and see when it peaks.

9 times out of 10 I'll find it's something clashing with the snare. Once you've found where it's peaking check the sounds that are playing at that point and check what frequencies they're hitting at.... If they're hitting/peaking at the same frequencies then work out which one is less important and use an eq to take away the frequencies of this sound.

Clearness in the mix will come with time as your ears develop... Look into side chaining to create more space in the mix. Common ones will be side chaining the snare to your mid/high bass and kick to your sub.

I've started using track spacer from waves which is side chaining but with an eq as well so it doesn't duck out the whole sound just the frequency range you want...

There's a bit of info there anyway.... but as mentioned the main thing is time and try and watch some helpful tutorials along the way!

maschinistom likes this.
  9. maschinistom

cheers evezdroppin, this is a lot to learn from and I will go through one by one .. will also check out SPACER from waves. ta!
    one thing I didn't understand: "something clashing with the snare" .. you mean the same freq. as the snare? to be avoided?

10. EvezDroppin

What I mean is most of the time when the track is playing there's no major spikes in the signal that will make it clip....

But a lot of the time I'll find it will peak when the snare hits but only at certain points.... so what I'll do is check what sounds are playing at that time and see which is causing the issue :)

maschinistom likes this.
  11. alexanthony

alexanthony Impact (Engage Audio)

I like the concept. the track is good. With my personal taste 1min 50 to 3min 10 is my favourite. Creates a nice atmosphere. I like the craziness of the tune aswell. however it definitely sounds too muffled for me though-out alot of it

Agree with the @EvezDroppin comments. Try and create some space, sidechaining is key!

All in all, very decent effort bro!

maschinistom likes this.
  12. maschinistom

hi alex, thanks for your feedback. lots of people told me mix #1 of 'HEY' sounds better, do you agree?

13. RUSSLA

RUSSLA DNBF Monarch

Yeah man Mix 1 is loads better!

maschinistom likes this.
  14. Phonik

Phonik New Member

Man 'mix 1' kills! You've definitely listened to it too many times and over-thought the process haha. I feel like there's a lack in sub frequencies though throughout the drop, definitely doesn't hit as hard as it could. My other comment is that the drums sound very "dry" and at parts seem as if they don't properly belong together - experiment with glue/parallel compression and even small amounts of distortion to really gel your kits sticking together!

maschinistom likes this.
  15. maschinistom

thanks phonik. exactly that's what I thought .. mix 1 lacks in sub bass freq. so edited mix 2 making the drum and bass parts harder and more voluminous .. plus EQing the pads and hihats (cutting high freq.) .. a bit too much I guess. so, mix 2 sounds worse than mix 1. anyway, thanks for your feedback !!