Some Advice Please...

I think if you've got the cash get one of these:

http://www.decks.co.uk/products/numark/x9

Sturdy, lots of FXs (24bit digitial) to play with when bored, really good Crossfade curve for scratching, good ass sound quality and looks pretty tidy if you ask me ;)

Could easily re-sell for £150 in 18months too, win! PLus if it breaks there are LOADS of Numark dealers/repairers in the UK as apposed to American Audio, bare mish to get it fixed.

All things to think about SweetPea (y)

This (possibly)

Had the Numark DXM09 (same mixer but different colour really) and it was a wicked mixer and great fun to learn on. BUT, they are very unreliable as mine broke and 2 of my mates broke. Hopefully with the X0 they have sorted that out, if they have i would go for it! If not check out some of the vestax range, they wont break on you and they are pretty simple :) good luck finidng somethin!

You quiet serious about this then? Seems like a large outlay for a beginner... I never bought such expensive gear as my first decks. Do you have an local dj equipment shops, probably worth while going and physically having a look at some of the products and weighing up what will be most suitable for you.

In my opinion you shouldn't worry in regards to scratching and more advance turntablism techniques untill you have a firm understanding of what you want from your equipment. Then the decision should be easy as you know exactly what you want and why you want it.

I started using a Behringer mixer and Stanton belt drives... These where pretty shoddy bits of kit, but gave me a footing untill I decided that this was something that I wanted to invest in...

When it did come to spending £££ I knew exactly what I wanted, and why I wanted it.

The only mixer I personnally would pay for in that sort of price range is the Allen & Heath Xone 22, seeing as the Urei seems to be discontinued http://www.decks.co.uk/products/allen_heath/Xone22

I am pretty serious about it, and I'm thinking of it as an investment, as my decks will be somethink I'll keep for a long time.
It's a birthday present from my Dad, and he said I can have £600 - £700 to spend on decks and stuff. I'm planning on only spending like £600 on the actual setup, - including headphones and stuff, so then I have another hundred to spend on vinyl to start mixing with.

The way I see it is, this will be the only time for quite a while that I'll be able to spend a great deal of money on mixers and headphones and stuff, so might as well get good quality ones that will last, than buying some cheap stuff that I'd have to replace in a year or so, when I won't be able to afford it.

Really if you've got £200 to spend you should just spend an extra £60 and get an Allen & Heath:
http://www.chemical-records.co.uk/sc/servlet/Info?ref=gbase&Track=XONE22

I cannot state enough just how fucking sick Allen & Heath's mixers' are. Amazing quality, both in the sound they produce and the durability and finesse behind the design. They are an absolute pleasure to mix on.
Just got the Xone 42 myself and I'm quite simply astounded about how just how amazing it is.
Go Allen & Heath. You won't regret it.

^^^ I agree, if you can afford it go for an Allen & Heath. Guaranteed quality.

Last edited:
Anyone here had experience using the Xone22? Been thinking of buying it myself. Went into a DJ showroom yesterday and the bloke in there was trying to sell me a Numark instead! Already got a Numark and it sounds horrible.

He thought the build quality of the 22 wasn't up to the quality of Allen & Heaths other mixers. I thought he was talking out his arse

Last edited:
personally, i started with a Numark DXM09. that was a few years back now tho lol... if you are looking for something with two channels, why not look for a lightly used Pioneer DJM-400.. im sure it couldnt be that pricey if you found it on ebay. if you're going to buy some gear to begin with, you might aswell get something that will last you for a number of years. pioneer and allen&heath are the way to go..

£600 is plently but spend some on good speakers (depending on what you already have) It helps with mixing

Second hand Technics are around £250-350 for a pair. I don't know what to suggest for the mixer, I need a new three channel one myself. I've only had Numark mixes so far and they have been fine, currently have an M2 which I got for about £70. I've had a go on some scratch mixers and the difference is big becuase the fader is so much looser and shaped better, but on mixers you can loosen the fader yourself. I think Vestex make good scratch mixers?

:)

P.S I started on the DM950 mixer, so basic but it was ok for me to learn beatmatching on. It's only worth £10 second hand if that. Can't wait to get my new mixer

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom