Software to standardise a mixes volume?

Discussion in 'DJ's, MC's & Turntablism' started by Forau, Nov 24, 2012.

1. Forau

Forau CONCUSSION RECS

What software can I use to make a mix the same volume throughout?

I've recorded a pretty sick mix but on 2 or 3 occasions the volume spikes up due to a stoned out of his head guy accidentally hitting the up faders.

2. Howitzer

Howitzer Active Member

I use audacity sometimes to clean up a mix, run an normalise or a standard compressor over the whole thing, that should bring the levels up.

If they really are totally out still, you can use the volume envelopes to clean it up.

3. Jwood27

Jwood27 VICTIM

faders should be up fully anyway, control the actual output with the gains?

but yeah using the normalize effect in audacity is a shout p.s. then convert to a 320 mp3, that your not giving people huuuge aif files to download

4. Teddy

Teddy 60% Staff Member

i find the best way to record is as followed
    trim your gains on each channel so they dont redline.
    do the same with your master out on your mixer. depending on your record function on the mixer it may not use the master out but its just a good habit anyway.
    open audacity and do some test records on the loudest part of a track. make sure the input in audacity is fairly low. you dont want any of the peaks to go over 0. that'll equal distortion. if the volume of the overal recording is low you can fix it. if its too loud, your screwed.
    here's some pics
    good levels
    bad levels
    then afterwards you can normalise like the guys have mentioned. if you have clippings in your recording or your levels are very up and down. it wont do an awful lot.
    get into the habit of adjusting your gains before you mix.
    here's a lil tip that i try to do. when beatmatching your next track. cue it from the drop somewhere and have all the eqs at 12'clock, adjust the gain till it red's then lower it until it doesn't anymore. you can do this while your beatmatching before cueing it up and shoving in the mix. (if you have time that is)

this guy's video is really good. he uses a limiter and amplify's the sound and gets it all at a perfect level. i personally feel it effects the dynamics of the overal mix too much but well worth a watch, he knows what he's talking about. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=likk4fbEblg&feature=g-like

wingz and bn14 like this.
  5. Forau

Forau CONCUSSION RECS

I don't like having the faders all the way up, I've just got so used to not doing it.

I think I should get into the habit of doing it though lol.

6. kathyboby

kathyboby Guest

Nice post. I like it. Thanks for sharing these information. Keep it up. :crazy: