Software and/or hardware alternatives to CamelPhat

Rubs90

KeyControl
VIP Junglist
Hey guys, up until now I've been considering investing in a hardware synth, and even though I'm sure I'd love one and give it much use perhaps it wouldn't be the best investment given my process to creating a tune. I find that I only need to create very basic patches on Massive and that most of the shaping of the sound itself comes in how I process the mid range band. Now, my go-to plugin for this is Camelphat, which is an absolute brilliant piece of software in my opinion. But I'm finding that I'm creating the same sound over and over again, and maybe it would be time for the to broaden my horizons. So I'm looking for suggestions on alternative for software/hardware to process my mid range. I was considering buying a Sherman Filterbank but I'm not sure if it's what I'm looking for and it is a big out of my price range, so accepting suggestions of all kinds.

Absynth.

Also there's a free plugin called Philteroid that makes for an alright Sherman Filterbank emulation.

A couple of synths I'd recommend are Z3ta+2 and Gladiator. Massive has an easy interface and can make some sick sounds, but it's been overused IMO and tends to have that "Massivey" sound (unless you know something the others don't).

CamelPhat is awesome, don't get me wrong, but I find Izotope Trash 2 to be my goto distortion unit. There's a lot more possibilities, but you can also quite easily kill a nice sound.

Also, you say you tend to use camelphat on fairly simple patches? I try to make a sound as phat as I can inside the synth before any processing is done. This means instead of making and OK patch sound good, you can make a good patch sound great.

Hope this helps

Back
Top Bottom