Soft synths beyond Massive

neddez

VIP Junglist
Sup dudes

I reckon I've got my head around Massive fairly well. I recently heard it said that Massive is a good synth for beginners because it's quite basic.

So now I'm wondering what other synths are capable of that Massive isn't, and which ones in particular I should have a look at next.

I have some basic knowledge of Absynth, would that be a good place to go?

Absynth is cool, but seems to be mainly aimed more towards intro sounds like pads and soundscapes....etc

Predator, Z3ta, Albino & FM8 seem to be popular too, and i hear Omnisphere is really sick, but pricey.

Last edited:
Absynth is good, yes while it does seem to be geared more towards pads and soundscapes there is absolutely nothing stopping you from using it for basses and leads.

I also really recommend Razor, it can produce a lot of really unique sounds.

Absynth is good, yes while it does seem to be geared more towards pads and soundscapes there is absolutely nothing stopping you from using it for basses and leads.

I also really recommend Razor, it can produce a lot of really unique sounds.

Razor is a fucking beast, as is Skanner.

Anything with a customiseable wavetable feature (as opposed to the built in tables in massive) will give some very unique sounds

Noizemaker is unbelievably sick for a free synth, I really really love the saw wave it has. The FM, Ring Mod, and effect section are sick too. Only gripe about it is that it needs more options in terms of modulation.

EDIT: oh snap, look at that boys... 50 posts to go!

Last edited:
For lead type sounds I've started using ableton's operator plug, massive's default saw sounds really unclean to me.

I love alchemy in many ways, but when making some sick and twisted morphing sounds it has it's own sound to it which I don't like, basically what I'm saying I don't like it's pitch bend.

I've used massive a lot, thanks for all the suggestions, gotta look into those synths y'all.

Back
Top Bottom