so you get to the stage where ( you think ) one of your tunes is....

EvezDroppin

VIP Junglist
Good enough to send off to digital labels.
What would you recommend?
Put some real time in getting the mixdown spot on then get the tune mastered before sending it to a label?
Or mixing it down and sending it to labels in hopt they'll be mastering it for you?

I'm not sure how it all works so anyone with some advice or knowledge on the subject would be very helpful!!

The label will usually master it for you. Why waste money getting a tune mastered if you know it might not even get signed?

i haven't had a release yet so i wouldn't have thought i would be the best at giving out advice.... :P

but definitely get your mixdown spot on, and master a little yourself ( nothing extravagant just a limiter, some compression and a bit of eq). a decent label will be able to see a good tune even if its not been mastered, so i wouldn't bother paying out of your own wallet to do it.

The label will usually master it for you. Why waste money getting a tune mastered if you know it might not even get signed?

personal use?

---------- Post added at 11:22 ---------- Previous post was at 11:21 ----------

a master should just be that proffesional polish though... bringing it up to scratch with the rest of the released materil... it isn't a majic wand for fixing tunes!

all valid points, id like to have it mastered for personal use if companies didnt want to sign it as I myself would love to drop it out but I agree with if its a goood enough tune and they think it will make them some money then I'm sure they'll master it themselves!! Good thing to do I suppose is post it up here once its done see what every1 thinks rather than going by yours and ur mates opinions which are always going to be slightly biased!

Make it as good as you can, mastering or not. If you feel that it's too quiet compared to commercial tunes, do a few decibels worth of limiting but dont try to reach the same RMS level as Break or Matrix & Futurebound, you'll just ruin it.

But before sending it to labels, send to a few DJ's that you know or appriceate and know who'se style the track would fit in and see what they think, or to some podcasts (plenty of those showcasing unsigned music around atm) and get some feedback on it, other than getting people on forums - cause here we are almost all startup producers and the feedback is always biased because of that. The real listeners are where the magic lies. BTW that's why soundcloud isn't very good in that front, it's mostly habited by producers and DJ's, there's no 'real' exposure.

Couple of things:

1) I wouldnt distinguish between digital / vinyl labels. If you think your tunes are good enough id get it on wax wherever possible. Dont lower your standards to just get stuff out there.

2) I wouldnt bother mastering the files. A label will master it themselves, however self master it aswell as you can (or get a mate who knows what theyre doing to do it for you) and send that copy out.

3) As kama said, the best way to get feedback is sending to podcasts/djs/producers who you know and getting thoughts off them.

ill post it up when im totally happy with the mixdown and arrangement, u may all laugh but its the first tune iv produced after a fair few where people have said that is sick, rather than thats ok.. maybe theyre givin me false ideas i have no idea, :)

Send to dj's or podcasts, or even just post them in the tune feedback section of the board. We'll tell you if it's good enough to send out :p
Forget mastering, absolute waste of money, you just need to get a perfect mixdown.

Yeah to start out with try getting it to DJs to play out, be it on radio or live

Get the tracks finished to the best of your abilities, and then go ahead and send them out if you are happy

Dont pester any labels that you have sent stuff too. (Very important)

If they like the tune they WILL get back to you

And good luck :)

I've always wondered, when you send stuff via aim to labels, do you just send the tune and leave it at that, or should you say something too? And if you say something, what? o_O

just send the tune imo. dont have any experience tho, hence my question, should i send the tunes out to a lot of labels or better keep the list short? think our tunes are kind of ready to send out. dunno where to start tho, really..

What everyone has said really. ^

Every label is different.. some will answer you and some wont. I will always have a chit chat when someone sends me a tune just because im generally interested.

One thing tho - dont pester them to death. I get some people send me a tune saying "SIGN THIS PLEASE, THANKS" then another message from them saying "EZ HAVE YOU HEARD IT YET".

Feel free to send me anything tho, I will give you some feed back if you want.

---------- Post added at 14:14 ---------- Previous post was at 14:09 ----------

I've always wondered, when you send stuff via aim to labels, do you just send the tune and leave it at that, or should you say something too? And if you say something, what? o_O

just say hello and all that shiz. Building up a little rapport cant hurt

Back
Top Bottom