So whos never palyed a gig?

Wellsy

VIP Junglist
I get chills down my spine whilst fantasising about dropping a few bangers in a small club, or even a house party for god sakes! As far as I know I can mix and ready to play a small gig however ive got a horrible feeling something will go tits up as one my cd decks decides he wants go to sleep whenever he wants or be extremely lazy and unresponsive. True many clubs have quality pioneers but I have only graced these once and completely forgotten my away around them which im sure is more or less the same, its just that little thought of not being prepared and well used to.

I know my option would be to get a set of proper cd decks that WORK or maybe get back to vinyl (which i kinda regret on ditching) but neither are gona happen anytime soon being a student and a baby coming very soon. Anyone else share my pain:sadbana:

I get chills down my spine whilst fantasising about dropping a few bangers in a small club, or even a house party for god sakes!

u need to get laid mate! haha only joking, yeah im the same man, would love to play out but havent had a chance yet. ive played guitar live to crowds quite a few times and that chill down ur spine u get thinking about it becomes a raw rush of adrenalin when you start smashing it. its all about relaxing, having fun and remembering that even if you do fuck up just to laugh it off and carry on... panicking is your enemy!

u need to get laid mate! haha only joking, yeah im the same man, would love to play out but havent had a chance yet. ive played guitar live to crowds quite a few times and that chill down ur spine u get thinking about it becomes a raw rush of adrenalin when you start smashing it. its all about relaxing, having fun and remembering that even if you do fuck up just to laugh it off and carry on... panicking is your enemy!

Ye im not so much worried about playing its my decks im worried about as i was asked to bring my decks for a set but i cant trust the buggers. I to have played guitar in front of crowd with my old band called 'FECK' (even tho im not Irish) but only one song to about 6 people in a church activity room when I was 15 haha.

haha i havent played in front of very many people before - maybe 200ish? used to love playing guitar live -quality rush! i know exactly where youre coming from man i used to have these god awful soundlabs that couldnt be trusted, just see if anyones got any decks you could borrow? or if not take a back up pre recorded cd so theres still music if it all packs in??

haha i havent played in front of very many people before - maybe 200ish? used to love playing guitar live -quality rush! i know exactly where youre coming from man i used to have these god awful soundlabs that couldnt be trusted, just see if anyones got any decks you could borrow? or if not take a back up pre recorded cd so theres still music if it all packs in??

Yeah a mate has got a pair I could lend perhaps, might just focus on doin a radio set or summit cuz ive kinda mastered the max capability of my decks its just a bit of extra work yer know.

theres an open decks thing in birmingham every wednesday, one of Artjom's (Mutated Forms) mate runs it, and Artjom being the safe guy he is has sorted me n my mate booked sets on em, but fuck me, both times now there has been problems with the cdj's and the 1st time i took both vinyl and cd for this reason (although normally its the vinyl decks that are too fucked to use in clubs). the cdj's kept randomly stopping mid tune, we could only think either a wiring porblem in the cdj or the bass vibrate making the start/stop button knock on / off. seemed abit odd how only the one cdj kept doing it.

Bigups to Tom and Artjom, but fuck me the setup 1st time was shocking. lastnight went again for the 2nd one and the setup was beautiful! but alas one the cdj1000 that was there was Kut D's, and he was leaving, and the other cdj's around wer an 800, an axis 4 and a pair of those SHIT stanton cdjs. i couldn't do my set as all my cd's wer MP3 JUKEBOX cd's, and the only 2 standard audio cd's i had i let my mate rinse b4 my set cuz all his are mp3's too.

our fault for thinking that they would be the same as last time, or that they'd be mp3 compatable.

my point is it doesnt matter where u play, who's on the bill with ya, equipment can be dodgey, even if its been looked after like it's made of gold.

if possible, try taking both media's when u play out, theres no way u can guarentee going to someone elses night to play a set and it being able to walkin n get a mix on, once you've been out and played a few different venues you'l get used to it.
the 1st 5 / 10 mins can be abit of hell gettin used to the mixer, monitors, decks, etc. but after that you should feel like your mixing on ur own setup again!

theres an open decks thing in birmingham every wednesday, one of Artjom's (Mutated Forms) mate runs it, and Artjom being the safe guy he is has sorted me n my mate booked sets on em, but fuck me, both times now there has been problems with the cdj's and the 1st time i took both vinyl and cd for this reason (although normally its the vinyl decks that are too fucked to use in clubs). the cdj's kept randomly stopping mid tune, we could only think either a wiring porblem in the cdj or the bass vibrate making the start/stop button knock on / off. seemed abit odd how only the one cdj kept doing it.

Bigups to Tom and Artjom, but fuck me the setup 1st time was shocking. lastnight went again for the 2nd one and the setup was beautiful! but alas one the cdj1000 that was there was Kut D's, and he was leaving, and the other cdj's around wer an 800, an axis 4 and a pair of those SHIT stanton cdjs. i couldn't do my set as all my cd's wer MP3 JUKEBOX cd's, and the only 2 standard audio cd's i had i let my mate rinse b4 my set cuz all his are mp3's too.

our fault for thinking that they would be the same as last time, or that they'd be mp3 compatable.

my point is it doesnt matter where u play, who's on the bill with ya, equipment can be dodgey, even if its been looked after like it's made of gold.

if possible, try taking both media's when u play out, theres no way u can guarentee going to someone elses night to play a set and it being able to walkin n get a mix on, once you've been out and played a few different venues you'l get used to it.
the 1st 5 / 10 mins can be abit of hell gettin used to the mixer, monitors, decks, etc. but after that you should feel like your mixing on ur own setup again!

Yeah you need to always be prepared for a shit setup. You should ideally be looking at playing vinyl primarily as CDJ's aren't always equipped or functional. Always take both vinyl and cds.

Back
Top Bottom