So who's got Ableton 9 yet?

DJWhizzkidd

I installed yesterday, not had a chance to play with it yet (much).

The new midi tools sound awesome - being able to convert audio to midi will be excellent for stealing other peoples music via sampling.

Tried the glue compressor on a drum bus, it sounds really good.

Anyone tried it?

Hella yeah, really like it so far. Didn't really get into the M4L plugins in live 8 so will try and use them more in this one.

I've been running the beta for a while, the glue is supposed to have an updated algorithm but I can't really tell, it's a good product though as I had it anyway ! The audio conversion tools are immense, really enjoying them and lots of possibilities to mess around with. i also like being able to draw curves in automation (finally!!). EQ8 is updated and much better. The file browser is also better. Overall it's a nice improvement I think.

Not sure about Push yet, I have Maschine but don't use it often enough, I figure it might be similar with push.... would be nice to hear feedback if anyone has one though don't think they'll be properly out for a few more weeks yet.

I've been running the beta for a while, the glue is supposed to have an updated algorithm but I can't really tell, it's a good product though as I had it anyway ! The audio conversion tools are immense, really enjoying them and lots of possibilities to mess around with. i also like being able to draw curves in automation (finally!!). EQ8 is updated and much better. The file browser is also better. Overall it's a nice improvement I think.

Not sure about Push yet, I have Maschine but don't use it often enough, I figure it might be similar with push.... would be nice to hear feedback if anyone has one though don't think they'll be properly out for a few more weeks yet.

I downloaded Suite 9 yesterday and am loving it thus far. The added GUI visual feedback for the EQ, Compressor and Gate are fantastic additions. Glue sounds amazing, which is to be expected as Cytomic's compressor is quite lovely for bus & master inserts. The Audio to Midi function is surprisingly accurate with melodic material. I'm experimenting right now with the per-midi-note automation which I have high hopes for. The browser has also been greatly improved.

One note worth mentioning after I had a conversation with Ableton is that you need to decide whether to go for the 32bit or 64bit version ahead of time. The reason is that if you install both you would have to rename one as they are both named as "Ableton X 9" (x = your edition) and would therefore overwrite one another. While you can rename, Ableton informed me that they don't recommend that. Having said all that, I stuck with the 32bit version to ensure the smoothest experience with regards to my AU/VST plugs.

Lost! have you left logic as well? haha

Not yet! :)

To be honest, I had a coupon code from some gear I bought awhile back and decided to take the plunge and buy Ableton 8 Standard since they offered a free upgrade to 9. At first I was not a fan but the more I dove into the program the more I understood the reasoning of the GUI and the approach to song composition within Ableton...which I found to be quite inspiring and convinced me to pickup Suite. The idea of firing off your own bits and pieces creatively to record an arrangement really appealed to me. I also enjoy the creative freedom of mixing up clips (and easily creating clip variations) to create scenes on the fly.

One of the biggest selling points for me (aside from being able to link Traktor and Ableton) was the many great ways Ableton handles and manipulates MIDI creatively...something Logic knows nothing about. Right now I've been sketching song ideas, riffs and rough arrangements in Ableton and then export the stems to flesh them out in Logic. I have yet to learn how to rewire the two programs together–or whether or not that's what I want to. But it's something worth investigating.

To add, Ableton seamlessly integrates with my SLmkII MIDI keyboard as the team at Ableton built the Automap specs directly into Ableton–no need for Automap and it's 100% stable!

My biggest issue with Ableton is the handling of Send/Return/Aux. Msmith222 and I have such crazy routing with our instruments & drum kits that I find Logic's mixer GUI is much easier to accomplish this. At the same time, I'm quickly growing tired of waiting for Logic 9.5, Logic X, Logic Hyper Fighting Turbo Edition or whatever the fuck they're going to call it. I know that they're "hard at work" on the next version...however, my faith in seeing a substantial update sometime soon is rapidly dwindling.

Having said all that, Logic will be my go-to bitch (for now, lol), and Ableton will my mistress on the side. :gang_bang

Last edited:
One note worth mentioning after I had a conversation with Ableton is that you need to decide whether to go for the 32bit or 64bit version ahead of time. The reason is that if you install both you would have to rename one as they are both named as "Ableton X 9" (x = your edition) and would therefore overwrite one another. While you can rename, Ableton informed me that they don't recommend that. Having said all that, I stuck with the 32bit version to ensure the smoothest experience with regards to my AU/VST plugs.

I just went with 32 bit, got no need for 64 bit. I can't see many people genuinely needing access to more than 4GB RAM for a track, unless you're going mad with samples.

Tempted to get Push. The way it works with scales is amazing, though you can achieve a similar thing by just using the scale midi plugin in Ableton with a regular midi keyboard.

It's quite pricey too, £420 for a controller. It's not like it comes with any sounds or synths like Maschine.

yes lost, logics mixer is probably the best around. i have totally left logic now. i love working with audio and logic doesnt compare when it comes to that.

i have 2 friends with maschine - they never use it! I know push sounds really cool to have - but will you really use it that much? i barely even use my midi keyboard so i think ill pass --- -- -- --- aint nobody got time that!

Did they add dual screen support yet on this version of Ableton?

And how about timestretching on the sampler?

(Quite why they left these things out in the first place is rather ridiculous to me :mad:)

dont think it has duel screen. to me tho its not that bigger deal, pressing tab to switch views isnt the end of the world. cant wait to use automation in session view, gonna be a game changer. audio to midi looks mad too

Ive got the suite version so you get Max 4 Live now, which means a whole ton of new devices. Also the sound library is huuuuuge.

So much to play with, so little time.

No it doesn't have dual screen support or time stretching in the sampler, yet.

Ughh....will NOT be upgrading then.

These two things are the most requested features so why do they think its acceptable to leave basic shit like this out?

I think im in the same position as Lost,
I'm torn between Logic & Ableton.

I love working with Audio, so Ableton wins that contest, But i love the mixer and pretty much everything else in Logic.

Apple should just sell Logic to Ableton, then shit can get real interesting...

These two things are the most requested features so why do they think its acceptable to leave basic shit like this out?

why dont you just time strech the clip then load it into the sampler? also, duel screens not that big a difference imo. i assume you want arrange and session view open simultaneously? theyver added so many good features to 9 that i dont care about duel screens. its still got the fastest workflow imo

You're really gonna pass on all the new features just because it doesn't have these two specific ones? Madness.

why dont you just time strech the clip then load it into the sampler? also, duel screens not that big a difference imo. i assume you want arrange and session view open simultaneously? theyver added so many good features to 9 that i dont care about duel screens. its still got the fastest workflow imo

Because if I do that, then it will still speed up/slow down the sample when I play different notes, which is not what I want. I want the sample to play at the same speed however much I pitch it. Even free samplers from years ago had this simple feature ffs!!

And yeah I want the arrange view on one screen and the mixer on another, I could work SO much faster that way. And as for the other features, well I already have Melodyne so the audio to midi thing doesnt bother me. And as for that Glue mix compressor, well theres already loads of vsts around that do the same thing anyway.

Dont get me wrong tho, I prefer the workflow in Ableton over other daws I've tried. Its just little things that bug me about it :mad_guy:

Back
Top Bottom