So Where Did It Start................

Time Dependant

Jungle Hunter
VIP Junglist
Well were all here posting on a daily basis bu lets take that extar time to keep back & tell each other what made you get into drum & bass in the first place. Was it a certain tune that moved you, a dj's style, the culture whihc the music brings.

mine personally was going to the Manor in Ringwood it was the last party before it shut down, & I was really into hard trance & acid techno. Now bearing in mind I was only 15 seeing DJ Hype upstairs was one of the most memorable scences. He absolutley tore it up & people were screaming for more. The Manor had wooden floors as well & went those deep tunes hit the speakers the whole place would shake. A night never to be forgotten for various reason's but a real life changer for me. :rslayer:

Who's next?

What got me into DnB was the attitude, I mean this beat is unique, it's fast, intense, can be extremely subtle too, it's all about the style, 1st jungle tunes I heard were on the New Frontiers EP by the Ganja Kru "This is a plague, that never ends..." :slayer:
Then I heard Brand New Funk by Adam F, leading me to earlier stuff like Colours...

i got into it thru a couple of mates at skool wen i was about 13 or 14. one of my mates older brothers was into it & listened to tapes of d&b in the car on the way 2 skool. the 1st tune i remember hearing was Renegade Terrorist by Ray Keith, but it was a long time after it was released!

Prodigy got me into rave music - sort of progressed into dnb naturally. I can't say there's a moment I heard a dnb track and said "That's the shit I like and will play". I was listening to dnb without knowing it was dnb/jungle.

Seeing a Guy called Gerald live convinced me that I should dj dnb but I was building up to that anyway...

It definately started out originally with Datcyde for me.. read a brief article in a skate mag about him, heard some songs, and I guess things went from there.

Randomly got a Slammin Vinyl cd, wanted something completely different to listen to. thought that there was plenty of good music out there to explore when i was younger had all the classics (pulp fiction, six million ways....etc) then a few years later at first year of uni went to atomic jam for my first clubbing experience in brum. went for the hard dirty techno.....stayed for the drum and bass. after hearing it properly through a decent loud club system i was hooked, was grooverider, dj rap and 4 hero tearing the system down. tune that blew me away on the night was the MIST remix of solid state - just a vision :love:

Continued to visit the dnb room at both atomic jam and flashback, and then met a shit load of headz in brum and continued to support the scene in brum at uni and in london in the holidays!

hmmm. Well it was around 96'-97' when i in 6th or 7th grade. I used to go to a urban lifestyle store called Workmenz Outlet. it was a store dedicated to the hip hop culture (breakin'/graff art/Mc'in/Apparel,etc). And this one dude who always worked there played this trippy ass music. And one day i asked what the hell is this? He showed me the cd "Promised Land 3: Future History:" and then i went out and bought it. It was really jazzy, but I liked it a lot. some really good tunes i couldn't stop listening to were DJ Crystyl - Warp Drive and LTJ Bukem - Music. This stuff just blew my mind. (y)

i was young and been raving for a while, was into trance hardhouse etc at that time, then I saw wildchild live n feel in love later I started listening more n more and soon enough found myself only listening to DnB

Used to be into a lot of rock/punk/metal up until about '98 when I went to a warehouse rave called Exodus in Luton.

Was mainly hardcore and techno but that was my first proper introduction to dance music and the rave culture.

That same night I borrowed a Vibes & Mastervibe tape off a mate and couldnt stop listening to it!!! About 6 months later I started mixing and havent looked back since!

A few people at school were into hardcore but it was the poppy Prodigy, Altern 8 style stuff which I though was poor so dismissed it all as being shit without realising some of it was fucking good. Then when I went off to uni in Brighton in '93 ended up sharing a house with someone who was bang into jungle. Didn't really like it when he played me it at first but gradually got into it, got into all the big '93 tunes like Helicopter Tune, Renegade Snares rmx, Warp Drive, Dark Stranger etc. Thing that really sealed it was going up to London for AWOL night at the start of '94, was hooked after that, used to come up to London for as many nights as possible :thumbsup:

goldie and doc scott at christmas 2001, i was feeling alienated by most other music scenes and i'd never heard dnb before, my friend took me and said that i would never experience anything like this, when i got inside people from all walks of life proper enjoying themselves and, after about 10 mins or so, i understood why, nothing grabbed my attention like dnb did ever before, i just knew that this was my music and i haven't looked back (y)

It was the last Hanger party in Houston, TX and my first rave. Wasn't really digging it at first. just sort of standing in the corner. Then this random chick pulls me into the DnB room and what was playing?.... Yeah you guessed it "Original Nuttah"! It's been love ever since.

i'd been a dancer for ever already (hmm should i say it? hell yeah), since disco days, when i got invited to a bigass rave in miami by a kid who used to be my "Little Brother". this is '99. i didn't even know what a rave was. anyway, i discovered how to FLOW that morning, not merely dance, while dave the AK1200 and the junglist massive baptized me into the most wonderfully terrifying alien dimension. testimony. jungle saves.

:gun: :jackson: :miss_rep: :sniper:
drum..........................................................bass

Drum and bass found me weird!!! Was bang into Spiral tribe, and they brought out a tune called forward the revolution, with the most rolling amen rinse ever on it in 92. Fell in love with that break. Heard dnb when I went to Uni, and that was it. Drop thedeath metal, drop the pills, hey presto, magic...Club Labyrinth for the friday and saturday for the next two years. :jacko:

Now I feel old. hmmm
The first tune I heard was in 92/93 at a ragga party my crew and I had put on called "jump around", a friend of mine had just returned from a world tour and told me to check this 12" he had picked up in England... then, we all thought it was the new ragga. I craved this new sound and the rest is mystory... wait for the book!

hippo said:
Drum and bass found me weird!!! Was bang into Spiral tribe, and they brought out a tune called forward the revolution, with the most rolling amen rinse ever on it in 92. Fell in love with that break. Heard dnb when I went to Uni, and that was it. Drop thedeath metal, drop the pills, hey presto, magic...Club Labyrinth for the friday and saturday for the next two years. :jacko:

Death metal and pills - I've got a vision of a loved up guy with long hair in black leather. :devilslay

Back
Top Bottom