So the Murder rate dropped by 52% because of legalization.

Discussion in 'Waffle' started by IV4, May 30, 2014.

1. IV4

IV4 Currently a newt.

2. rysk

rysk Part-time waster

correlation =/= causation

3. IV4

IV4 Currently a newt.

It is that statement that caused me to find the stats. You are right of course. For many people the drop in crime is just a hypothesis with no real controlled study to prove it was caused by legalization of bud, but sometimes cause and effect are real. Just like when crime rates dramatically dropped in the U.S. due the ending of prohibition. It is a funny correlation between those times and now.

4. Catsel

Catsel Well-Known Dismember

fixed

:zoidberg:

IV4 likes this.
  5. ThePapa

ThePapa Suffragette City..

Well firstly Denver is a smallish place so going from 5 murders to 1 (Jan-Apr 2013/14) means a 400% decrease between years (to date). Secondly you need to factor in population increases/decreases otherwise the figures could be massively skewed by an influx/exodus of people (city populations naturally ebb and flow). Thirdly people are intimidating each other twice as much as they were last year and disorderly conduct is up approx 1,100% to me they're the bigger stories (although probably not if the reasons were explained).

Also Denver doesn't appear to have any peados at all, I'm very suspicious of that, I think the whole town's being run by them that'd explain it. Except maybe the women.. http://www.denvergov.org/DenverCityCouncil/CouncilMembers/tabid/436358/Default.aspx

IV4 likes this.