So, Ollie Teeba of the Herbaliser...

Discussion in 'Waffle' started by DeployFX, Aug 2, 2008.

1. DeployFX

DeployFX Member

...tour SF, and this is what we got for the entire night....

[​IMG]

A dude and his laptop....

Is this what DJ has come down to now? I don't mind people bringing their stuff if there's gonna be something cool happening. Perhaps remixes of your tunes? Perhaps a cool thing we haven't heard? But no, just a DJ set mixing with your lap. I think my old age is showing here, but who agrees this kind of lazy ass mixing from DJs is boring?

I guess I'm just a little disappointed and expected more from a group I actually enjoy listening to.

2. savoirfaire

savoirfaire 16

I've never been to a Rave..but yeh.. I'd like to see a DJ with two decks an a mixer yagetmeh:D, just seems lazier, i mean i'm pretty sure DJ's get paid decent money for doing something they should love doing..
    Peace

3. D BREAKNECK

D BREAKNECK 7 years on top

Witnessed some very sick DJ sets off laptops. (Luke Vibert / Amen Andrews laptop set = DANGER)

Don't underestimate...

4. BeyondTherapy

BeyondTherapy Well-Known Member

richie hawtin is god with a laptop ... :D each to their own and if i was seriously into mixing like i was back in the day id love to learn .. just dont have the time or spare money ... shame ... but yeah ... nothing wrong with it in my book ......

5. DeployFX

DeployFX Member

I think people are misunderstanding me...

I got NO problems with laptop DJs, sets are clean, transitions are clean, and you bring a whole new level on board the moment you pull out the laptop to the crowd and you know they're gonna do some sick shit or a remix on the fly.

I DEFINITELY think this is a great thing for mobile DJs or club DJs where people are there to dance and booty shake and the focus isn't what the DJ is planning on doing rather than if the music is groovy.

What I DO have a problem is this...

When the attention is ON the DJ for a specialized event (and you can't get more specialized than the Ninja Tune boys), you got Herbaliser who are all about the elements of jazz, hip-hop funk and scratching - they rep all these things, and here we got Ollie Teeba come in and all he's doing is mousing around squinting at his laptop for a DJ set?

Excuse me...

LTJ Bukem using a laptop? No.

Kid Koala using a laptop? No.

Fabio using a laptop? No.

When these guys come down here, they absolutely know better because the focus is on them. Teeba was just fucking lazy and put on a shitty show. Even more shitty that they haven't been here in year...almost a slap to the face really.

6. Snowgirl

Snowgirl Member

What, when was this and where? I love Herbaliser :(

7. DeployFX

DeployFX Member

Last night at club Mighty. Very shitty set and it was kinda a letdown because I love Herbaliser too :(

8. safety

safety double safety

if you're seeing herbaliser you deserve more*

9. JAGZ

JAGZ Well-Known Member

a set is a set at the end of the day man, if you go the dmc championships with a lappy :lol: bye bye but if you are just playing a set then it shouldnt matter how the tunes come out of the speakers aslong as the quality is good, would you stop dancing and say thats not right he cant do that if you saw a dj was playing off a laptop? i wouldnt mix on a laptop or cd decks but if thats what the next guy wants to do let him he's doing no harm imo.

10. DeployFX

DeployFX Member

A set is a set, eh?

You completely missed the point.

I mean, why stop there? Why not just have each member of Radiohead bring a laptop to crank out the tunes? Makes no difference right? The tunes are just coming out of the speakers... An MC should just forget about flowing live, just have a prerecorded MC set and have him flip through his lyrics and just pump them out with his lappy, no? Right?

Safety hit the nail on the head.