So let's say...

Cyclopyze

...u want to make a living out of DJing (in clubs, on radio or something like that), is that possible ?

Now im not talking about being super rich (famous?) but your normal job without much worries about being broke or not being able to pay your credits, etc.

Btw this is not in the lines of ''can I be a rock star'' but more like trying to figure out what to do instead of going to college (or after finishing it).
I'd rly appreciate some insight / thoughts on this from some1 in those waters.

yeah, if you love the music enough, and your good enough, and lucky enough to meet the right people, odds are stacked well against it tho

i did alright as a tech(no) dj, enough to get by, and was allot of fun too, cost of living drops quite a bit if u dont have to pay to party lol

production is a better option than djing imo, coz it opens up lots of other career options (includin djin). main thing is to have fun with it tho really

In these scene you got to do something pretty special to make a name for yourself without making tunes. And if you do make tunes you've got to have something that the 1000's of people in the same position as you don't!

Always thought DJing is much better option since it seems alot easier to get some gigs at local clubs then to make ppl buy the stuff that u make (which have to be either rly unique like muzzadj pointed out or they have to be rly mainstream + in that case tons of luck is needed). xD

I just wrote this after spending about 4 hours trying to study something only to end up looking at a an almost blank piece of paper and thinking is this something I wanna be doing for another 3 (probably more) years.

You will never get far in dnb unless you make some outstanding music, very few 'famous' artists in the scene have made it on djing alone man. Gotta get on the produce.

I agree with the above ^

You gotta do dnb for the love of the music, 'coz you aint getting paid!

Seriously, its fair to say im a no name dj but ive done a fair few gigs, havent been paid for a single one. Youre lucky if you get free drinks nowadays.

As far as production goes, you need to sell very few records to get in the top 25 on Juno.

To earn a livable wage I think you need to aspire to be someone like friction. The head of a massive label, makes his own tunes, etc. But the amount of work you need to do to get there is ridiculous and even when you get there you wont have time to sleep.

there is more money to be made in dj'ing weddings.

get yourself some abba cd's, sell your soul and bang some bridesmaids

mix drum and bass because you love it ... anything else in a bonus

...u want to make a living out of DJing (in clubs, on radio or something like that), is that possible ?

Now im not talking about being super rich (famous?) but your normal job without much worries about being broke or not being able to pay your credits, etc.

Btw this is not in the lines of ''can I be a rock star'' but more like trying to figure out what to do instead of going to college (or after finishing it).
I'd rly appreciate some insight / thoughts on this from some1 in those waters.

Doubtful with dnb as everyone in dnb seems to dj :rofl:

If you're good and can play multiple genres it isn't too hard to get a residency or two somewhere. Possibly even get signed to an agency. It's easy enough to do while working fulltime as well (I play out at least 3 times a week and get paid as well as working fulltime). It'll only ever be smalltime stuff unless you're very lucky or produce very good/commercial friendly tunes.

there is more money to be made in dj'ing weddings.

get yourself some abba cd's, sell your soul and bang some bridesmaids

mix drum and bass because you love it ... anything else in a bonus

This is a true story. I actually DJ quite a bit of weddings, and while I can't throw down a set of bone crunching DnB (though I'll slip a little Shy FX in when I can!) there are two big advantages to wedding DJing:
1. You can write off all your expenses. I write off everything. Itunes purchases, computer, hard drive, plug-ins, etc. This way I can buy all my audio toys and have the man pay me back at tax time.
2. You can bring some of your own promo CD's to throw out. Now I don't go out of my way to give CD's to people during a wedding because I don't want to "make it all about me," however, if someone asks me "what do you really like to spin" or something like that, I break them off with a CD. Will it get me booked for a stadium gig with 50,000 people? Probably not. But, word of mouth is a powerful thing IMO.

Back
Top Bottom