So im thinkin bout givin Ableton a try over Cubase 5...

mistasfx

MISTA SFX
VIP Junglist
Should i stick to the DAW ive used since 2006 or should i give Ableton a whirl??

Any Ableton users out there that wanna sell me Ableton and why i should change?

Any Cubase uses out there who have tried Ableton and wanna tell why not to change?

Thanks in advance

One is not better than the other.
Try a demo of Ableton ...If you find you find it a more efficient platform to make music on, use it.

Ableton is also good for live stuff ...Read up on it.

Last edited:
I recently made the switch from FL Studio to Ableton, and it's the best thing I ever done! I had been using FL for about two years, and a friend of mine tried getting me to change to Cubase......I tried it out and just couldnt get my head around it at all. Spent ages trying to learn it, but it just wasnt my bag! Couple of month's ago I got a copy of Ableton for my birthday......if I'm honest, at the time, I was thinking "Oh no, after the trouble I had with Cubase, do I even wanna attempt opening Ableton....Well I'm glad I did! It's the best production tool for me by far!

I made the switch from Fruity to Cubase in 2005/2006 and i took to Cubase straight away, i loved it. My m8 who has used Nuendo for years has made the switch to Ableton and said the ease of its drag n drop system is a dream

---------- Post added at 17:26 ---------- Previous post was at 15:48 ----------

had half hour on Ableton, not feeling it at all.

I used Cubase SX up until few years ago, i love Cubase, but really, Ableton is just the dogs bollox, espcially if you get the full suite version, fully integrated Instruments and FX with AWSOME power and routing potential, the flow is so much better, once you get used to it, i've never looked back! the only thing i miss from cubase is the warmth of the audio engine, but tbh, that can be solved with all sorts of tools (tube's for eg). keep at it, soon u'll wonder why u didnt switch ages ago ;)

im just at that stage where its like godddddddd how dya do that, where does this go, how do i?? etc yano what i mean?

yep haha :D u'll get the bug tho eventually, so many possibilities! check out tut's on youtube, Tom Cosm's tut's are good, its all pretty intuitive once u've learnt one set of tools, it carries over to everything else, check out the Ableton tips n tricks thread too

one of the best features you should definitly learn...Instrument Racks (grouping instruments/FX in series...and parallel, fekin sickness! first obvious use is for split bass)

im only on the 30day full trail and ive checked out a few tutorials like but i aint been bitten by the bug yet..... ive got such a strong love affair with Cubase u see lol

Well I recently opened Ableton and I didn't really felt the interface, but that might also be because I don't know all the shorcuts yet!
I really love Cubase 5, very advanced options and good audio engine. But next to that I have also worked with FL Studio for more then 6 years.

Cubase is like a BMW, up there with Logic for the PC world.
Ableton would be like your hot hatch then FL prob the bottom end of the decent DAWs.
I used Ableton for years but its almost a toy compared to Cubase.
Look at it this way - watch the CM videos and see what your influences are using - then decide.

Cubase is like a BMW, up there with Logic for the PC world.
Ableton would be like your hot hatch then FL prob the bottom end of the decent DAWs.
I used Ableton for years but its almost a toy compared to Cubase.
Look at it this way - watch the CM videos and see what your influences are using - then decide.

a toy compared to cubase? you are going to have to qualify that statement, coz i've used both for years, and if anything, Ableton has more functionality than Cubase, excluding Nuendo's surround sound capabilities and offline processing, which can replicated very easily in ableton

Ableton is good and the stuff packed in there is amazing - I still use mine to make sounds I then bounce out to Logic.
Cubase and Logic are the grandaddys of DAWs and with this is the experience in sound quality and precise sound manipulation and full consideration given to recording / external instruments.
Wasnt Abelton more directed at live use?
Like I said I still use to make use of the wide range of sounds and fx but the real stuff happens in Logic and if you look around at what most of the successful track makers are using then I would think they arent wrong.

im desperate to get back into prducing.. spent afew years on reson but all the sounds are awful! DL'd fruity loop demo and was lost lol.. really wanna try abelton but my lack of knowledge is holding me back. Its sad times....

Ableton is an excellent 1st stop. Its what got me back into it all. I originally used Cubase for Atari, moved to hardware sequencers then onto Cakewalk for the PC.
Ableton is easy to get up and running quickly and lots of sounds. Plenty of training material on youtube.

Ableton is good and the stuff packed in there is amazing - I still use mine to make sounds I then bounce out to Logic.
Cubase and Logic are the grandaddys of DAWs and with this is the experience in sound quality and precise sound manipulation and full consideration given to recording / external instruments.
Wasnt Abelton more directed at live use?
Like I said I still use to make use of the wide range of sounds and fx but the real stuff happens in Logic and if you look around at what most of the successful track makers are using then I would think they arent wrong.

Spor, uses FruityLoops, Sasha, uses Ableton, the list is endless, most people dont use logic, 10 years ago perhaps. yeah Ableton is an awsome live tool aswell, and thats one of the reasons i switched, but Ableton 8 is more than capable at manipulating sound in any way that you want, internally or externally, if you stopped using it at version 5 or 6, then i can understand your perspective

im desperate to get back into prducing.. spent afew years on reson but all the sounds are awful! DL'd fruity loop demo and was lost lol.. really wanna try abelton but my lack of knowledge is holding me back. Its sad times....

just takes allot of time and effort man, its not a fast process unfortunetly, but u'll get lots of help in the production forums here :)

Yea same here

Mate half hour isnt nowhere near long enough to understand how a DAW works.......jeez.....

If you gave up on a DAW after half hour of opening it....maybe production isnt for you. Cubase wasnt for me, but I didnt make that decision in 30 minutes, I actually spent month's with it before deciding it didnt let my creative work flow.

To be honest loads of people have been telling me how great ableton is, how easy the workflow is etc and after watching some tutorials I can see what they're getting at but I've been using logic for about 4 years which I'm more than happy with and more important I know well, at the end of the day they all do roughly the same thing (maybe with some help from plugins) it all depends on your workflow and whether you can be bothered to learn another daw

On a side note I have to work in cubase sometimes and I find it quite similar to logic, ableton seems like a bit more of a jump

i just tried ableton after using fl for 3 years-ish, i can't get into yet but will keep trying as its early days yet. totally different set-up and will be a big change over but maybe it will suit my workflow in the long run, then again maybe i'll just stick with fl. who knows

Back
Top Bottom