So i wanna go to the UK for about 4 months...

Discussion in 'Waffle' started by Saftstein, Oct 31, 2015.

1. Saftstein

Saftstein Active Member

Eeeez guys,

Basically in around 9 months i'm having a semester abroad and ofcourse what other place would be more interesting for me than the UK. So i know there are these hotspot cities where all the big labels and parties are (london, bristol,...) but unfortunately my university doesn't have partner universities there. So i have a to choose from 3 different cities and maybe you guys could help me and tell me some stuff about them. I'm interesting in everything, but ofcourse most important is the music scene and how expensive it is to make a living.

I can choose between:
    • Aberdeen
    • Sheffield
    • Buckinghamshire
    Cheers

2. DeeGun

DeeGun Church of Krust

I´m not a british resident but Bucks should be the most expensive of the three, near London tho.

Gabberdeen..well..

I guess Sheffield has enough to offer musically and is not that expensive.

Saftstein likes this.
  3. Catsel

Catsel Well-Known Dismember

Bucks is expensive.. and yes near to London but not near enough to walk! still a lil way. But def under 45mins to get to London... and its a very nice area. posh.

Sheffield is a coal mining town.. all i know.. all i wanna know.. plus spiderfran? who wants to go there.

i'd say the best option is Aberdeen, from what ive herd Scotland is awesome place. and if you wanna go London just train road trip. plus they have knifes up there i think.

all in all they are all shit options. quit school and goto Columbia and plant trees > ??? > profit

Saftstein likes this.
  4. herojuana

herojuana hairy kuala

I went to uni in Sheffield. The union has Tuesday Club which started as a dnb night, but now plays any shit dance music. In general the town is cheap and good fun.

Bucks is good for nothing except proximity to London

Aberdeen is great in terms of outdoorsy stuff - don't expect a vibrant music scene though, and definitely not dance music

Saftstein likes this.
  5. Harry3

Harry3 Chuki

Id go for Sheffield, itll be cheap and its relatively close to other major northern cities

Is the Bucks one in High Wycombe? If so nothing happens there. Oxford, London or Reading will be the only places near you that are even slightly good and itll be expensive.

Saftstein likes this.
  6. Saftstein

Saftstein Active Member

Cheers for the help so far guys. So buckingham is obviously too expensive then.
    I think sheffield would be a good option, city looks quite nice and yea the tuesday club has some good bookings.
    I checked the university (sheffield hallam) and it's really expensive, i just have no idea how it works for exchange students. If it says a student fee is 9000£, do they mean for one year? Quite pricey :p

7. Harry3

Harry3 Chuki

Yeah thats the standard price for one year at uni for English students now. Other englush unis wont be cheaper.. although uni is free in scotland but I doubt if that applies to exchange students?

8. Catsel

Catsel Well-Known Dismember

fuck.. thats expensive. and then u gotta buy books an shit. and get yourself as drunk n fucked as everyone else.. no wonder students are broke homeless looking people..

9. herojuana

herojuana hairy kuala

Haha I was at Uni of rather than Hallam .... lots of butting heads going on between us

But has Harold says (for some reason. Get off the internet mate and start plowing seasonaires) that's par for the course for uni in the UK now. Scotland is free, but only if you're scottish so no go there either. I think it'll be more expensive for foreigners too, but maybe not from the EU. I used to do this shit for a living but can't remember anymore

10. DeeGun

DeeGun Church of Krust

9000 fackin bucks.. absolutely insane.

11. Harry3

Harry3 Chuki

Resorts arent open yet! Its only started snowing on the hills for the last few days and I dont start work til Thursday, so I have a good excuse to be sitting around on the internet.

And at the moment Im trying this long distant relationship thing... sucks...

Last edited: Nov 1, 2015
  12. herojuana

herojuana hairy kuala

Fair play to ya, wee laddy.

If I make it out there, I'll try and pop up to Whistler. There always seems to be half a dozen or so people I know up there

13. Harry3

Harry3 Chuki

Oh I decided to go to Banff, sounds like Whistlers gonna be a bit shit again this season

14. herojuana

herojuana hairy kuala

Fair enough. You working at the resort? Louise?

15. Harry3

Harry3 Chuki

Yeah working at Sunshine Village. Sounds a bit like a special needs school but yano...

Got staff accom but its in a hostel in a 4 bed dorm, ridiculously hard to find a room in town