so i can finally frequency split in reason... now what???

law_88

so i finally managed to split my bass into seperate frequency bands in reason. But now I'm kinda stuck as to what to do with each band. I tried adding some tape distortion to the lows, then various combinations of overdrive distortion and fuzz the mids and highs. I finished off with some compression to glue it all back together and then reverb. To be fair one of the two basses I made sounded pretty decent, but the other one actually sounded worse than before. It just didn't seem to gel together properly at all. Anyone got any tips or tricks for which effects work best on which band, or which combination of effects are best?

low doesnt need much. if you want to beef it up, overdrive and then lowpass again. its the highs that really make the difference. my signal chains always have delay based effects before overdrive because it makes everything crazier

cool, gonna give that a go after work, chorus is a delay based effect yeah? obviuosly delay is lol, are unison and phasers delay based aswell?

Trial and error for the win. What works once works once. Then start again next time!

Unless you use the same sound in every tune of course.

yeah you dont need much on the lows maybe a tiny bit of saturation but go to town on the highs - distortion, chorus, flanger, env follower etc

exactly, so i always have chorus before dist on the highs. reverb and phasers too, all types of ill shit before dist. but mainly dist is everything and to make the dist spark like it should go chorus, then overdrive it so its starts to crackle, dont even bother with dist unless its like a sound youre going for

What I usually do is split the bass into low / mid / high. From there I will mono the low end, and occassionally boost it if need be. Then I'll add a subtle distortion to the mids, along with some sweeping notch filters. On the high's I will maybe add chorus / saturation / overdrive and distortion, and then again some sweeping notch filters at a different rate. Group them back together, and add some EQ, some subtle compression, along with some sidechaining to the kick drum.

Back
Top Bottom