So... Crossfader or Channel Faders. Which is it YOU use??

gsand

Been mixing about 2 years now as a bedroomer, now looking to start promoting myself out there for small-time event filler, and only just started recording my mixes.

One thing ive noticed that I never really picked up playing loud on speakers is how out of whack my levels are from track to track.

For some reason mixer (vestax vmc004fxu) is just about peaking constantly on both channels (1210's) with gain set to minimum and EQ's centred. Plus one deck seems to be louder than the other (both brand new 1210s, shure m44g carts)

This aside, when listening back to recordings of my mixes, there is a large volume boost while double dropping (obviously, however i never picked it up without listening back).

What do you do to keep your levels even? Ive started to use the channel faders instead of the crossfade and it seems to be improving slightly, but still aint perfect.

Hope you guys can help me out.

Ive spent this long getting my mixing tight, just got to conquer this and hopefully somebody might like my mixes enough to play 30 minutes in a club!

Peace from Down Under

I always leave the crossfader in the middle and use the channel faders for mixing.

I find you have more control over what you're doing that way.

Channels.

If i were you i'd turn down the master out and turn the gains up so you can use that to control the difference in vinyl level.

Ah I bet you wish you started recording sooner ey chap.. But not to fret, just keep recording over and over again until you can be confortable that what you are doing on the mixer will reflect nicely on a recording. I started recording within the first onth so have kinda got my levels dialled now, it really is just practice.

I have a little diagram that i made somewhere, i'll dig it out when i get home and post it up :) The thread i put it in has been deleted for some reason..

i only use my crossfader for scratching, the channel fader for smooth transitions.

i have my Xfader on sharp cut all of the time for it no use for blends.

This.

upfaders allow more precise control over what you're bringing into mix

Generally keep em on a smooth curve.

Haha i'm king at not answering the question..

Channel faders all the way, much much more control of what is happening (y)

Thanks for the help lads.

Does it strike anybody as odd though that each deck is peaking out though? Might just be me, was using a numark 5000fx before i got this vestax and i the levels would never hit the red.

Good tip on the with master Saint, but this would involve adding even more gain to each channel - they would be maxed out all the time.

Or to ask an honest question in hopes of an honest answer, does the equalizer display actually matter in relation to sound quality (to an extent) and mixer longevity? Or is it merely a guide for idiots like myself.

Thanks guys!

Your peaking problem unfortunately cannot be resolved unless you use quieter needles. Providing you all the switches set correctly on the channels etc. My mate just bought some Behrnger mixer and he has to have his gains set to almost zero as well.

Can't think of any other way to stop it peaking really. Sorry dude.

Meh well so long as it isnt doing any harm then Im not worried, the M44G's were the only cartridges my local shop had it at the particular time i needed something. They are a scratch needle, but great for mixing too, big bass. (Information given to me at point of sale...)

I guess they are just freakin loud needles.

channel faders... thats how i learnt... then switched to crossfader and i'm now back on the channel faders... much better ;)

Just thought, have you made sure they're going into phono inputs? Would peak really high if it was in the line ins and that would kinda explain it.

Probably not that though.

My fader is fucked so I use channels.
I have the gains on 12oclock so I can turn them up or down and get the sound perfect in my earphones before I bring it into ze mix.

My fader is fucked so I use channels.
I have the gains on 12oclock so I can turn them up or down and get the sound perfect in my earphones before I bring it into ze mix.

I imagine it would be pretty difficult to pick up volume difference in your cue with club monitors blaring at you, but i'll try your tactic out.

The EQ still irks me, I'll make a short clip to demonstrate when I can. Pretty much, I can get the levels to a respectable high (and actually compare volume via EQ display) if I turn the eq dials down till about 10 o'clock position. But then of course, its fudging nasty and annoying to set them always back to that spot when mixing it up, switching basses etc. always go back to center.....

Channel faders + EQs for me. The crossfader is left on the sharpest setting for the occasional cuts.

Back
Top Bottom