So boys i'm getting my ass into production!

RUSSLA

Technique
VIP Junglist
Hey yo!

I've been mixing 2 years now and have built up a reputable solid base on the decks so time now to start writing beats. I've been into music since the tender age of 5, playing the recorder, saxophone, drums, guitar etc so know how everything works...except the programs :rolleyes:

Anyways i've just ordered the new 27" iMac :D

iMac.jpg

3.06GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
4GB 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x2GB
8x double-layer SuperDrive
1TB Serial ATA Drive
ATI Radeon HD 4850 512MB
Apple Wireless Keyboard
Apple Magic Mouse
Apple Remote
iWork '09 preinstalled

Guna get Logic Pro, run Reason on an emulator and hopefully get Cubase on the go soon!

Just thought i'd let you all know that i'll be showing my face in these parts a lot more!

Any advice/comments welcome, I'm guna need it :)

my first advice for you would be to learn to take criticism. your first attempts will suck, but it is a necessary process. you must make crap, identify whats wrong with them, and then make sure you avoid them.

also, why do you want both logic and cubase ? they pretty much the same thing. id say cubase is slightly better for audio editing, and logic has better sidechaining options.

yeah... learn one thing well rather than having loads of things you don't know very well! Why cubase, logic and reason? They all do the same thing, it would be best to stick with Logik and get one or two VST/synths and learn them inside out... you will get much better results!

my first advice for you would be to learn to take criticism. your first attempts will suck, but it is a necessary process. you must make crap, identify whats wrong with them, and then make sure you avoid them.

also, why do you want both logic and cubase ? they pretty much the same thing. id say cubase is slightly better for audio editing, and logic has better sidechaining options.

Cubase 3 was a pain in the arse for side chaining. They have made it a million times easier in 4 though. I haven't used 5.

Cool thanks Gordo, I am fully up for learning and progressing so I'll need all the critisim I can get :)

With regards to all the programs, I have no clue which program I am guna be most comfortable with so wana try a few out first, then i'll go and purchase the one most suited to me. I know its a bit cheeky but I AM going to buy the software ;)#

I have looked at the all the programs already and really like the way Logic works. I am good friends with DJ Dose who has produced some silly good tunes (e.g The Error) all on Reason, so would be the most perfect person to show me around that, and even do a bit of mastering for me so thats kinda why I wana get to know Reason aswell. Decisions.

What is the daddy program? Or does it not really matter as with the knowledge they all do the same?

Thanks again guys!

P.S. My ass is not for rent Joey.

none of them are 'the daddy', although i'm sure some logik/mac bummers will be on here in a second to argue that! at the end of the day, they all do the same essential tasks so it's what YOU think is the daddy! for me it's ableton, moved from fruity to ableton and never looked back!

ps. massive = daddy synth!

its a battle between logic and cubase but to be fair with a mac you only need logic.

and its really good to hear man ! the more people making drum and bass the better!!

Ok safe well I'm pretty sure i'm guna invest in Logic Pro and maybe use Reason to make drums if I find I need to.. Heard Re-drum is the shizzle.

Work for Siemens Greg so get discount with Apple... Still costing around £1500 all inc which imo is a fairish price, expect thats without a keyboard and software tho... My DJ setup is worth £2750 so not quite as expensive ... yet lol.

Oh and i've read about Massive loads on here, what essentially is it? Just loads of samples etc? Sorry to ask, i'll search if you like hehe.

i'd get the full max keyboard if i were you too, not the shitty little one.
that magic mouse is just something else.

guess you need to look into getting an audio interface/midi keyboard/monitors soon as well.

Oh and i've read about Massive loads on here, what essentially is it? Just loads of samples etc? Sorry to ask, i'll search if you like hehe.

massive is a soft-synth (not a hardware synth)... sub focus tutorial on the tube shows him using it...

Cool cheers Richie, i'll have a looky.

Does anyone know if the sound card and interfaces can be upgraded at purchase of the Mac. I know they havent started building it yet so still have time to change the spec.

most people get an external soundcard (audio interface) via USB
we have mboxs at college but those r pricey

http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/product/15219-digidesign-mbox-2-pro.html

and yh i love redrum coz of how easy it is to link up each hit to a seperate path of EQ and compression... but i have heard somebody say before "do your drums in NNXT because redrum sounds like shit" i dont know wot they were talking about tbh... bullshit

I'd get z3ta+ instead of (if you can't get both) massive. It's cheaper and imo better.

z3ta's pc only.
massive is great, but my fav go to synth is albino. it is just so easy to use, whilst not missing out any features.

as for soundcard, id say get apogee's duet. bit pricey at £300, but its the absolutely best thing to have on a mac, especially if you arent very concerned about microphone recordings.

You will love that mac dude, I have the 24" inch and I cant even imagine how awesome the 27" is gonna be.

Fast as shit, smooth as glass, sounds great, doesn't crash.

Back
Top Bottom