So, 3D sound placement?

subprime

Dysjoint
VIP Junglist
Like in tv and ads etc, studio audiences, fx. Like the guy that laughs a bit hard at a joke sitting 10 rows back behind you slightly to the right, the rippled laughter and applause or the subtle outside noise that actually makes you turn and look over your shoulder. And this is wearing headphones, not on a surround system or anything.

Now I can get somewhere near it with pan, eq, reverb, filtering etc but nowhere near as dramatic, and especially not the sounds that come from behind the listener. How do they do it? (so that it translates to headphones?)

Good question! I'm not going to be much help but I read somewhere that precise use of simple volume can help give depth, sounds being further/closer from one another. I'd guess that and clever use of reverb would get you there. I guess you've gotta think how far the sounds would have to travel before getting picked up by the studio mics and what enviroment they'd be in. Plus the sounds would be getting picked up by multiple mics so maybe try multiple tracks with slightly different pan, volume and reverb settings?

Yeah it's in the reverb and stereo effects, tho I have never gotten the impression of sound coming from behind when only on headphones?

are you talking about about binaural mixing or like 5.1?

EDIT: u mean like this?

Last edited by a moderator:
are you talking about about binaural mixing or like 5.1?

EDIT: u mean like this?

No, not surround mixing, but that binaural thing sounds about right. If I remember rightly Kontakt has some feature like this so I might have to investigate.

I have tried to replicate the effect with an automated chain of fx and it works, although straight line travel is easier than smooth round panning. It's long tho, basically just looking for a quick mode.
Anyone know of a vst equivilent of that logic thingy?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom