So, 3D sound placement?

Discussion in 'Production' started by subprime, Jan 5, 2013.

1. subprime

subprime Dysjoint

Like in tv and ads etc, studio audiences, fx. Like the guy that laughs a bit hard at a joke sitting 10 rows back behind you slightly to the right, the rippled laughter and applause or the subtle outside noise that actually makes you turn and look over your shoulder. And this is wearing headphones, not on a surround system or anything.

Now I can get somewhere near it with pan, eq, reverb, filtering etc but nowhere near as dramatic, and especially not the sounds that come from behind the listener. How do they do it? (so that it translates to headphones?)

2. Prideinyouride

Prideinyouride Member

Good question! I'm not going to be much help but I read somewhere that precise use of simple volume can help give depth, sounds being further/closer from one another. I'd guess that and clever use of reverb would get you there. I guess you've gotta think how far the sounds would have to travel before getting picked up by the studio mics and what enviroment they'd be in. Plus the sounds would be getting picked up by multiple mics so maybe try multiple tracks with slightly different pan, volume and reverb settings?

3. Elzerk

Elzerk 00111100 00110011

Yeah it's in the reverb and stereo effects, tho I have never gotten the impression of sound coming from behind when only on headphones?

4. spyre

spyre sample all the things

Newb then

5. Eternaloptimist

Eternaloptimist Active Member

are you talking about about binaural mixing or like 5.1?

EDIT: u mean like this?

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2015
  6. subprime

subprime Dysjoint

No, not surround mixing, but that binaural thing sounds about right. If I remember rightly Kontakt has some feature like this so I might have to investigate.

I have tried to replicate the effect with an automated chain of fx and it works, although straight line travel is easier than smooth round panning. It's long tho, basically just looking for a quick mode.
    Anyone know of a vst equivilent of that logic thingy?

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2015
  7. Eternaloptimist

Eternaloptimist Active Member

what daw do you use?

8. Dugg Funnie

Dugg Funnie Well-Known Member

9. subprime

subprime Dysjoint

That looks cool. And I guess the dramatic effect could just come from limited use, chuck one or two sounds out the back and it broadens the soundstage.
    I have mda roundpan, pretty basic and a one trick pony, round and round and round, but this ^ one looks cool. Cheers.