Snobbery and sexism

SLP93

I've been into drum and bass for some time now but having suffered with an anxiety disorder and a couple of mental health issues for many years, I've been more into the liquid side of things. For me, it's a beautiful sub genre of music, that can touch you on so many levels and in different ways. It's been the one thing that has kept me sane (well mostly) along my path of recovery. I can appreciate other styles of drum and bass, I just haven't got into them as much because they're not for me whilst chilling at home. Different genres and sub genres, in my opinion, all have a time and place

Having lurked on this forum for a while though and comments I've read elsewhere, I've noticed that liquid dnb is often ridiculed as being too soft, amongst other things and that some people don't take it's fans seriously. (I've seen liquid fans be described as 'drippy emo c*nts' 'dnb for p*ssies' etc.) and I'm quite shocked at such hostility from what I originally thought would be, an open minded and loving scene.

Not only that but I can't count how many times I've seen/heard some dnb fans describe something as 'girls music' or 'girly drum and bass' as way of insulting and entirely dismissing it. Not only does this imply women by default, have bad taste in music and shouldn't be taken seriously in any such way but it also creates a homophobic attitude towards men who may be a fan of that particular style of music.

Having not yet experienced a proper dnb rave, I have such a burning desire to now I feel well enough and before it's too late but my problem is when I read some of the things I do, I feel as if I might not be welcome. 1) Because I'm female, which in the eyes of some will mean I'm obviously just there because I heard the latest sigma tune on the radio and I'm bandwagon jumping. I couldn't possibly be there because I genuinely like dnb and want to explore it further than I already have. 2) Some people make it seem as though I will be thoroughly questioned on my knowledge of different dnb producers and if I fail to be aware of somebody they are, then this automatically discredits me.

I know not everybody in the scene is like this but for those who are, how the hell do you/they expect people to get into a genre, if you/they don't even give them a chance to? It's about time some older hardcore fans stopped trying to be so elitist. For a music scene to survive, you eventually need new fans and those younger fans (just like yourself when you first started out) won't have the same knowledge on the genre as you, this doesn't make them any less worthy of being a dnb fan or of getting into the scene as it didn't you.

I think you're dissecting it too much, ignore the idiots & get on with what you enjoy... This ideal isn't just limited to d&b, I see it across a lot of electronic music genres even including ones that are typically renowned as very open-minded in terms of sexuality/acceptance etc...

You will get idiot comments on any internet forum you frequent, for any walk of life or subject.

On the whole, here, any overtly "offensive" or "derogatory" comments are made purely in jest & mostly nothing is meant by it, yet to the average lurker or non-regular, it could appear there are a lot of idiots & negativity...

But I have to revert to the first part of my comment, I think you're over analysing it tbh...

Anyway, enjoy your time on the forum... Good first post topic! :2thumbs:

As Moskit said all genres have people that disregard certain sub genres in because they like something that might be the other extreme - see current value / the panacea.

People's opinions are largely an irrelevance. If you enjoy something, do it. Also where are you reading some of these comments? I'm intrigued.

Liquid has some crap tunes and some absolutely fantastic tunes, same as any.

Also a lot of the nights i go to tend to be a 60/40 male female split and sometimes 50/50, just goes to show that there isn't any bias in terms of taste and gender.

Enjoy the forum, there's loads of liquid stuff posted

Deegun giving sound advice, I'd avail the opportunity and take it

Everything has stereotypes, sure it may not be right but its human nature to generalize.

I agree with your point about snobbery but I can't say I've seen it in here, unless you were talking in general..

:welcome: to the forum, @sierra88 loves liquid I think you should acquaint yourself with him

Having lurked on this forum for a while though and comments I've read elsewhere, I've noticed that liquid dnb is often ridiculed as being too soft, amongst other things and that some people don't take it's fans seriously.
can't say I've ever noticed any comments like that on here tbh

I'd say it's rare for anyone who is properly into dnb to not appreciate at least a handful of liquid tunes. and if they don't then they probably just haven't heard the right stuff

I've been into drum and bass for some time now but having suffered with an anxiety disorder and a couple of mental health issues for many years, I've been more into the liquid side of things. For me, it's a beautiful sub genre of music, that can touch you on so many levels and in different ways. It's been the one thing that has kept me sane (well mostly) along my path of recovery. I can appreciate other styles of drum and bass, I just haven't got into them as much because they're not for me whilst chilling at home. Different genres and sub genres, in my opinion, all have a time and place

Having lurked on this forum for a while though and comments I've read elsewhere, I've noticed that liquid dnb is often ridiculed as being too soft, amongst other things and that some people don't take it's fans seriously. (I've seen liquid fans be described as 'drippy emo c*nts' 'dnb for p*ssies' etc.) and I'm quite shocked at such hostility from what I originally thought would be, an open minded and loving scene.

Not only that but I can't count how many times I've seen/heard some dnb fans describe something as 'girls music' or 'girly drum and bass' as way of insulting and entirely dismissing it. Not only does this imply women by default, have bad taste in music and shouldn't be taken seriously in any such way but it also creates a homophobic attitude towards men who may be a fan of that particular style of music.

Having not yet experienced a proper dnb rave, I have such a burning desire to now I feel well enough and before it's too late but my problem is when I read some of the things I do, I feel as if I might not be welcome. 1) Because I'm female, which in the eyes of some will mean I'm obviously just there because I heard the latest sigma tune on the radio and I'm bandwagon jumping. I couldn't possibly be there because I genuinely like dnb and want to explore it further than I already have. 2) Some people make it seem as though I will be thoroughly questioned on my knowledge of different dnb producers and if I fail to be aware of somebody they are, then this automatically discredits me.

I know not everybody in the scene is like this but for those who are, how the hell do you/they expect people to get into a genre, if you/they don't even give them a chance to? It's about time some older hardcore fans stopped trying to be so elitist. For a music scene to survive, you eventually need new fans and those younger fans (just like yourself when you first started out) won't have the same knowledge on the genre as you, this doesn't make them any less worthy of being a dnb fan or of getting into the scene as it didn't you.

Don't worry out of the 3 main genres of drum & bass, Liquid, Jump Up and Neuro I think Liquid will be the best one for you to test the water because we all know Liquid is for girls.

:teeth:

Rule number 2 - Don´t pay any attention to anything that Klaus posts. He´s stuck in some kind of 90s Compton LA Scenario.

Like Boyz n the hood. Which secretly turns out to be a sausage fest. Because that´s what manly men desire. Sucking shlong.

Rule number 2 - Don´t pay any attention to anything that Klaus posts. He´s stuck in some kind of 90s Compton LA Scenario.

Like Boyz n the hood. Which secretly turns out to be a sausage fest. Because that´s what manly men desire. Sucking shlong.
Breh you're too stupid to be funny so just fuck off aight?

Keep it down a bit Claudiusz, the adults are talking...

prmF1ODeGA-6.png

Back
Top Bottom