Snares & Mastering question.

Discussion in 'Production' started by Yukon, Mar 12, 2014.

1. Yukon

Yukon Yukon

My snares/claps always trigger the limiter when mastering. Why?
    They aren't even the loudest element in the mix by both ear and software yet they always cause gain reduction...
    Help :/
    p.s I bus them so, I know layering isn't the issue.

2. Serum

Serum Well-Known Member

If they trigger it then they must be loud enough but it doesn't really matter as long as the track sounds good.

3. Yukon

Yukon Yukon

That's my problem tho. By triggering the limiter, they aren't punching through the mix well. Hence, track no sound goodch :(

4. Mania

Mania i fukin wot m8

If they cause infrequent peaking, which mine had sometimes, just chuck on a flattish compressor on the percussion bus and bring it down till the peaks stop being an issue. If that loses the punch of your drums, some transient shaper or parallel compression should do more than enough to fix that.

5. Dark Lizardro

Dark Lizardro The Lizard that has a hammer Staff Member

How the waveform of the hit is shown to you? The snare couldn't be the loudest in your mix, but maybe it peaks over the limiter settings. I'd make it as Mania said.

6. sam the dnb man

sam the dnb man Variation

Try placing a short fade in on other sounds that occurs at the same time as the snare. Or side chain.

7. subprime

subprime Dysjoint

Cumulative effect of some kind, snare + something else hitting at the same time, or too much transient (snare and hat? etc). Side chaining is the easy option for sure. Mute all your other bits and bring them in one by one and see where the limiter starts triggering? Might help identify the cause.

Dark Lizardro likes this.
  8. Serum

Serum Well-Known Member

It could be any number of things that are making it sound bad. Your limiter settings might be wrong or the snare might just not be much good and you might need to replace it.

9. kama

kama benkama.net

I get the snare thing a lot too, especially with rimshot-style samples. Usually I just limit the snare if it is a problem. Usually it's not.

10. dbjungle

dbjungle DJ Syklone

I normally layer my snares with a limiter on it. I usually have a limiter on all tracks right before the EQ. Someone let me know if i should stop this ASAP lol.

Sent from my LG-E970 using Tapatalk

11. Mania

Mania i fukin wot m8

As long as it doesnt mess with the snare and transient it should be alright. I tend to use a compressor for that, a bit less intrusive and more flexible.

12. Interruptor

Interruptor Member

I rarely limit anything else than master so cannot say yes or no to that, but I usually first compress the the plain signal, then EQ it, and then compress the EQd signal a bit to keep it steady. If you boost something after you've limited your track, it can cause clipping due to the + values in the EQ

//edit: to the OP, as you described, I doubt it can be anything else than the snares coming too loud (+ multiplying with something else, as said earlier). If anything else is in place and sounds good though I'd go with sidechaining aswell - fast, effective and usually works wonders. Might also sidechain only above 150hz and see if that works so the low end keeps steady.