SNARE ROLL? goshh, an essential

Discussion in 'Production' started by Warmth, May 9, 2006.

1. Warmth

Warmth New Member

Me just luvs those stoppers in tracks... ohhh.
    Here are few examples of this, and just, wow, this shit is so fun and cool and hopefully learnable..

But hey ?? How in the name of god do you get them down ? A series of different snares ? Well, how should they be organized?

Personal examples would be appreciated

The one on noisia Vanishing point (3rd one) really gets my heart pounding :love:

Attached Files:

2. logikz

logikz I Am Not The King Staff Member

cant listen to the attachment from work but snarerolls are just the same snare in rapid succession with a rising or fading volume envelope of desired length.

3. kama

kama benkama.net

These are made mainly by sampling different breaks. There are a few breaks that have those same kind of hits. Got Me a Man is one, then if i remember correctly, Back to the USSR has those too.

4. Warmth

Warmth New Member

well, "thanks", It's then the long and hard process of trial and error, thanks for trying..

5. Indi

Indi Tha Original ThreadKilla!

For me, I used a succession of the same snare in one channel, and then clone the channeland used individual hits of the cloned snare at a slightly higher volume, to give volume fluctuation in the roll, the fluctuation depends on what kind of roll you want. Use high hats, cymbals and other percussion to emphasise your roll.
    Another thing I sometimes use is pitching the snare down an octave and shortening it up, then using it on top of the roll to give ghost snare effect to the some hits in the roll.
    Or you can just sample a roll from a break, get it into synch and add your own hits to give the roll some shine. When you are looking for a particular sound in a drum roll, its may be really difficult to recreate the same sound, so its easier, more efficient and more effective to just use a sampled roll (y)

6. Warmth

Warmth New Member

o man, o man... thanks for that one, will try, and WILL check out your tunes !

7. dj_xero

dj_xero music lover

I've noticed that many snare rolls in dnb have turned into kick-rolls (?) as you would hear in lots of house tunes. All the same they sound great, but I love hearing fucked up glitch breaks in dnb tunes.