Smooth transitions?

dizzzeejungle

Junglist Down Under..
VIP Junglist
Hey guys,

I'v been Djing for about a month, and i can finally lock a mix in (sometimes), but what i sometimes struggle with, is what to bring in from the new track?

Usually i will drop out the bass of the track going out, then slowly increase the volume of the one comming in, but there is always a point where i pretty much have two drum beats going,

I mean it sounds ok cuz they are in time, but it still doesn't sound right to me ,

Also, you know when you hear andy c or who ever layering tracks over one another.........do they just have one channel on slightly lower volume? Or is it some clever EQ fiddling?

Any pointers on mixing dnb in general would be appreciated

PS. anyone know any good battle records ? the more sounds the merrier !

cheers

:beers:

i mix using the channel faders, rather than the x fader - as i feel it gives me more control over each track volume.

as for eqing - if i'm bringin a track in. i'll have the bass either off or at about 9 o' clock. and when the track commin in is about to drop. i'll switch the bass from 9 to 12, and on the one going out, i'll switch it from 12 to 9 (or off depending on the track)
also, i'll take a bit of the hi and the mids, maybe put the hi to around 10, and the mid to 11 - again, depending on the track and the mix.

also, i'll generally decrease the outgoing track by around 2 points every 8 or so bars. ie - 10 to 8, 8 to 6, then a gradual fade out on the final few bars.

not everyone does this, and i guess it depends on your mixing style. i like long blends and smooth transitions and i feel this feels me achieve them a bit better. generally smooths everything out in the mix.

hope that makes some kind of sense....

check this mix out and you might get a bit more of an idea of what i'm getting at
http://www.musicv2.com/listen.php?m=49719
let it roll out for a bit because there's some quicker cuts at the begining.

it does take time to find yourself a comfort zone. it's taken me about a year of mixing to find out how i like eqing and bringin in tracks and i'm starting to nail it now.

also, a decent mixer with decent eq's and faders will do wonders for your mixing.

Last edited:
I find it depends on the tune. If something is really full on then gently fade it in. But if a tune has a sparse intro I like to use the crossfader more. I think you can do things with filters 2 but my mixer is not this advanced so I cant really give any pointers lol.

Play around until it sounds right (I mean with change the EQ's Gains, faders etc etc until you like howit sounds) your system will be different to others and eq'ing their way may sound shit on yours, once you find a way you like and you have to creatde your own style on ur own system, then you can use that to adapt when playing out.

Last edited:
there are many ways to make it sound good, but what kind of mixer are you using. if you have a shitty mixer then the eq's wont sound the same as a high end allen & heath or pioneer mixer. you get what you pay for ;)

Yeah, I'v got a Vestax 2 Chanel VMC002XL,

I'v heard they are a good beginner mixer.

But yeah, progress so far is that i'v started mixing using the chanel faders more, and it is beginning to sometimes sound really good

Any more tips are welcome !

Yeah, I'v got a Vestax 2 Chanel VMC002XL,

I'v heard they are a good beginner mixer.

But yeah, progress so far is that i'v started mixing using the chanel faders more, and it is beginning to sometimes sound really good

Any more tips are welcome !

Yeah I've got the same mixer man - it's a good mixer with good quality faders and filters... Been mixing 7 years now and it's still good enough for me...

You've got some great advice hear already follow that, experiment and above all practice practice practice, it'll soon start to sound good...

Back
Top Bottom