Smooth - Feel So Free / Music Takes Me Higher (Viper Recordings)

Tim Viper Recs

Viper Recordings
VIP Junglist

SMOOTH
01. FEEL SO FREE
02. MUSIC TAKES ME HIGHER
03. MICRO

VIPER VIP
CAT # VPRVIP013
Released: 28th Feb. 2011
Available on Vinyl & Digital Download

BUY LINKS

http://itunes.apple.com/uk/album/feel-so-free-single/id421399442
http://www.trackitdown.net/genre/drum_and_bass/track/3083168.html
http://download.breakbeat.co.uk/lpsepsartists/smooth/feelsofree.aspx
http://www.junodownload.com/products/feel-so-free/1710258-02/

In less than 12 months, Smooth has gone from bedroom beat-making to nailing remixes for the likes of John B and Matrix & Futurebound (his 2011 take on the classic ‘Strength 2 Strength’ will feature on the duos upcoming Worldwide 001 mix album) as well as gaining the support of some of the biggest names in DnB, including Pendulum who featured two of his tracks in their recent Radio 1 Essential Mix with 'Underwater', co-produced with NC-17 & Nusense, as well as 'Absolutely Flawless' by City of Dogs (which he is one of three members). If that wasn't enough aliases for you, he also makes up one half of Telekinesis with releases on Breed 12 Inches, Bad Taste Recordings, and forthcoming on Viper. Now exclusively signed to Viper Recordings, Smooth gives a mouthwatering sample of what is going to come in 2011 from one the world’s hottest new production talents.

DJ support for this single from: Loadstar, Pendulum, Brookes Brothers, High Contrast, Danny Byrd, Matrix & Futurebound, TC, ShockOne, Phetsta and more.

‘FEEL SO FREE'
‘Feel So Free’ is peak set dancefloor euphoria at its very best. For the intro, atmospherics eventually drop away to silence, which is then broken as a disco vocal filters in before a 16 bar bass drum build rolls in, guaranteeing every hand in the air before the drop. Electro base and intricately layered synths and trance arpeggios then weave in and out of the vocal before a second rush inducing breakdown sends the dance into a frenzy. ‘Feel So Free’ is a production masterclass which will get many big name producers wondering how Smooth got so good, so quick.

'MUSIC TAKES ME HIGHER'
Toughening things up, ‘Music Takes Me Higher’ opens up with rapid-fire double snare drum breaks and speeded up vocals, with distant echoes of the DJ Vibes classic ‘Obsession’. The track then drops with an almighty smash as cascading robotic buzz basslines collide with titanium tough electro drums layered over the continuation of the rolling snare break. This is an absolute dancefloor tearer which plays to the hearts and minds of those who still retain a love for the old school intoxication and exhilaration of the early days of rave.

'MICRO'
Moving on to third track ‘Micro’ (available as a digital only exclusive) you can see the genesis of what is sure to become Smooth’s signature sound – old school breaks, frighteningly tough 2011 production, with euphoric clipped and filtered vocals over mix down perfect bass. ‘Micro’ takes this winning formula off into new directions with future funk warm bass underpinning robo-jazz melodies all rolled together with house style short sampled vocal clips and deeply buried reverbed synths.

Last edited:
Such a shame micro didn't make it to vinyl. Easily the best tune out the three IMO
Music Takes Me Higher is the one for me. It's tough to choose with Smooth, he's got about 20 sick bits to choose from! Next from him will be 'Calling' and his remix of Matrix & Futurebound - Strength 2 Strength... which might I tell you is a fucking TUNE and a half!

Music Takes Me Higher and Micro are kinda nice, would even considering bagging it, if those two would make the vinyl, but Feel So Free I don't feel that much. Certain Russian producer made a tune with those vocal samples some time ago and I find it better, used to that version, so this one slightly annoys me.

Music Takes Me Higher is the one for me. It's tough to choose with Smooth, he's got about 20 sick bits to choose from! Next from him will be 'Calling' and his remix of Matrix & Futurebound - Strength 2 Strength... which might I tell you is a fucking TUNE and a half!

Loving calling, will wait with baited breath for the strength 2 strength remix, am sure it will be funky

smooth - micro:

(1:50)

utopia - ursa major

same sample?

Last edited by a moderator:
Music takes me higher - sample has been rinsed but cracking tune nevertheless. Bagged.

Music Takes Me Higher is sick, not massively into the other tracks though. Probably will be bagged at some point.

After seeing High Contrast dropping Feel So Free 2 weeks ago I've found my way to that tune. Bagged after all, great production. Is there any new stuff coming up from Telekinesis? Still banging your Breed12Inches plate, Lithium drives me nuts!

Back
Top Bottom