Smooth Basses.

Discussion in 'Production' started by smoothassilk, Oct 25, 2013.

1. smoothassilk

smoothassilk Active Member

I know that it's been asked a lot, but I'm having trouble making basses that sound both smooth and big... maybe burial-esque kinda sounds?

I actually find it easier to make basses sound big and dirty, all you need is to add phase modulation/ amp or ring modulation, lots of detuned voices and lots of distortion. Oh, and pan different oscillators left and right a little.

However, I can't use any of those techniques really when making smooth basses, because then it stops being smooth.
    I also want to try and avoid the rubbery synthetic sounds you get from detuning and the throbbing, but then I don't know what to do to make my bass bigger

Reverb and phat mode compression, maybe?

2. alz

alz compress to impress

You use the same techniques, but every time you do just say to yourself, less is more.

3. DNBA SUCKZ

DNBA SUCKZ I've been naughty, I'm banned

dont be a nerd and stick to using parametric EQ`s, kill the hz making the bass heavy

[​IMG]

4. Serum

Serum Well-Known Member

If you want smooth bass then make it simple. Use less distortion (or none). Stick with sub sounds or filtered basic squares and saw waves.

You can use EQ but you're better off just making a sound without the frequencies you need to get rid of. Don't be afraid of using a sample to begin with that's close to what you want.

5. halifax

halifax New Member

This !