smoke and vinyls

fevezz

nom nom nom nom!
ive heard that cigarette smoke/ash has some adverse affects on vinyls. just how bad is it?

the thing is, where i live, smoking is now banned in clubs, restaurants, etc. but the owner of the lil dump ive been playing at allows smoking anyway, and this one dj (who uses cds) smokes while djing, and of course, the decks i use are right there, along w/ my crate of rekkids.

should i be that worried about the crap thats ending up on my vinyls?

Yea keep your vinyls covered up/away from it when you can, I know smoke can effect some equipment if its around it alot, best not to risk it i reckon!

smoking a cigerette near your records isnt going to do anything at all mate....

putting your record collection into a huge salmon smoking machine probably will.....

smoking a cigerette near your records isnt going to do anything at all mate....

putting your record collection into a huge salmon smoking machine probably will.....

............make them smell delicious???? It won't damage them at all as salmon are cold smoked.

^^yeah, well that's why I asked about smoke/ash. like ash ending up on the slipmats from the cd dj right before me, or when other ppl/djs smoking sometimes hang around the dj booth while im playing, etc (and im the only vinyl dj there). so if anyone else can add, that'd be nice.

Smoke shouldn't be a problem but the ash might cause some problems if your vinyl is always in contact with it, after a while the vinyl could damage

I wouldn't be so neurotic. Nothing a damp cloth and an anti-static can't fix.

Better to be safe than to be sorry imo... I would just make sure your vinyl are covered when not in use and u shud b kushty

Everyone seems to think smokes harmless, look at the ceilings in a house or roof lining in a car thats been smoked in for years, it settles into everything an leaves loads of dirt. Yes it takes a long time, but it will settle on whatevers around it, equipment doesnt take to nicely to it as it gets into all the connections.

Everyone seems to think smokes harmless, look at the ceilings in a house or roof lining in a car thats been smoked in for years, it settles into everything an leaves loads of dirt. Yes it takes a long time, but it will settle on whatevers around it, equipment doesnt take to nicely to it as it gets into all the connections.

You should clean your equipment and vinyl regulary anyway. The smoke only leaves nicotine which is removable by a moist fabric.

Yea vinyl fair enough can be cleaned, cleaning components on the inside of mixers and rack gear etc isnt quite as easy. I just try and prevent it from happening in the first place.

Back
Top Bottom