Slicing up the amen (and other breaks)

rysk

Part-time waster
VIP Junglist
inb4 search, i did and it wasn't particularly helpful.

Basically, i'm trying to find out the best way to cut and slice the amen break, and others, to get that hard jungle sound

kinda like...

i use fruity 10, and keep it noob friendly please.

any other tips on achieving a similar sound also appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Keep bashing out tunes, mess about with distortion and compression and stuff for a few years and see where it gets you.

Chop the break into the single ride hits, the high hat shuffles, the kicks and the snares, maybe even the ghost snares separately, click the drop down menu on each piece in the Playlist widow I guess and hit "M" on your keyboard to make them unique and then assign them to different mixer channels for special attention, then you bus them all to a new channel, but remember to click the little arrow underneath the master channel with each of the amen piece channels to stop them sending to directly to the master - in addition to through the buss channel.

I usually keep a snare from the amen in my sequencer and play it over a more standard 200hz "psshh!!" snare thing so I use the one in the actual break as a more FX / ghost snare kinda thing.

As soon as you've got the separated snare from the amen made unique and assigned to its own mixer channel, you can grab a copy of that snare, click the drop down menu and hit "M" again giving you a new, unique snare hit which is still assigned to the same mixer channel. This one you can pitch up or down as you wish giving you those "Boom Bam boom-bam! Boom keng diggy boom-keng!!" phrases with the different pitches you know what I'm on about.

Assign a Fruity Free Filter and then a flanger to the break buss channel, where the pieces all come together. Set the Free Filter to HP, turn the knee down to almost nothing and open it completely. Drop the "rate" - so the sound changes gradually - on the flanger once you've found a sufficiently warpy preset and turn the volume knob down in the FX chain.

Automate the flanger volume and the Free Filter cutoff. When you want a warpy "something's about to happen here" effect on your break, make the automation clip for the filter narrow the sound and give the flanger full volume for the whole while you want it in and then turn it right off again. This will sound really cool.

Keep bashing out tunes, mess about with distortion and compression and stuff for a few years and see where it gets you.

Chop the break into the single ride hits, the high hat shuffles, the kicks and the snares, maybe even the ghost snares separately, click the drop down menu on each piece in the Playlist widow I guess and hit "M" on your keyboard to make them unique and then assign them to different mixer channels for special attention, then you bus them all to a new channel, but remember to click the little arrow underneath the master channel with each of the amen piece channels to stop them sending to directly to the master - in addition to through the buss channel.

I usually keep a snare from the amen in my sequencer and play it over a more standard 200hz "psshh!!" snare thing so I use the one in the actual break as a more FX / ghost snare kinda thing.

As soon as you've got the separated snare from the amen made unique and assigned to its own mixer channel, you can grab a copy of that snare, click the drop down menu and hit "M" again giving you a new, unique snare hit which is still assigned to the same mixer channel. This one you can pitch up or down as you wish giving you those "Boom Bam boom-bam! Boom keng diggy boom-keng!!" phrases with the different pitches you know what I'm on about.

Assign a Fruity Free Filter and then a flanger to the break buss channel, where the pieces all come together. Set the Free Filter to HP, turn the knee down to almost nothing and open it completely. Drop the "rate" - so the sound changes gradually - on the flanger once you've found a sufficiently warpy preset and turn the volume knob down in the FX chain.

Automate the flanger volume and the Free Filter cutoff. When you want a warpy "something's about to happen here" effect on your break, make the automation clip for the filter narrow the sound and give the flanger full volume for the whole while you want it in and then turn it right off again. This will sound really cool.

that sound useful, it's a shame i don't understand it.

anyway, i fucked about with just rearranging the amen and shat this out...needs a lot of work but it's the general basis of what i was after

Try out the FL Slicer or the SliceX.. Great tool for cutting up a loop. You get separate slices from all the samples in a loop and it is then placed under different keys on your MIDI keyboard and piano roll. You can then rearrange them within the piano roll. Just right click a sample in the FL file browser and choose the option for the FL Slicer or SliceX.

You can also do this manually by chopping up the loop yourself in the playlist.

Try out the FL Slicer or the SliceX.. Great tool for cutting up a loop. You get separate slices from all the samples in a loop and it is then placed under different keys on your MIDI keyboard and piano roll. You can then rearrange them within the piano roll. Just right click a sample in the FL file browser and choose the option for the FL Slicer or SliceX.

You can also do this manually by chopping up the loop yourself in the playlist.

this is what i've done...i'm now working on some 'aaaard new age jungle techyness

Also, use multiple breaks with different qualities, I did this in absurdum before, now I usually just chop out another snare hit that I can change things up a bit with.

Back
Top Bottom