DnB Skwiffer - February 2012 Mix

skwiffer

VIP Junglist
Hello there. I recorded this the other day and thought some people on here might like it. It's a pretty moody, techy one. Starts slow and gets faster. Any feedback's appreciated. Good or bad. Cheers for checking.

Synkro - Progression - Exit
Beastie Respond - Syncopy - Teal
Loxy & Resound - Fall - Exit
Dub Phizix ft. Fox and Chingo - Narrow Eyes - Soul:R
Dub Phizix & Skeptical feat. Strategy - Marka - Exit
Mute and Mako - Cali Sleaze - Utopia Music
Skeptical - Blue Eyes - Ingredients
Basher and Xtrah - Hubble - Subtitles
Skeptical ft. MC Fokus - The Truth - Dispatch
Jubei and Kasra - The Rift - Critical
S.T. Files and Calibre - Falling Down - GreyAudio
June Miller and Mindmapper - Quartz Controller - Buried Audio
S.P.Y. and Kasra - Surface - Critical
Skeptical - Cold One (Jubei Remix) - Ingredients
Hybris - Please Exist - Metalheadz
Mindscape and Hydro - Pest Kontrol - Dispatch
Ulterior Motive ft. Codebreaker - It's On - Subtitles
June Miller - Snapcase - Modules
Mako and Survival - Freedom from Duality - Utopia Music
>>>Krakota - Scraper - Ingredients
Keza - No Ghosts - Alignment Records
Fracture and FD - Galvanise - Subtitles
Break - They're Wrong - Symmetry Recordings

Stream/download - http://soundcloud.com/olly-skwiffer/skwiffer-february-2012-mix

Download - http://dnbshare.com/download/Olly_Skwiffer_-_February_2012.mp3.html

1 hour - 320kbs - 145mb

Last edited:
Cheers guys. I hope you like it. Let me know what you think.

Also, beware, I accidentally recorded it too loud (had to switch to an even worse mixer and only had a poor quality cable to hand, as well), so it sounds better through speakers than headphones (although perfectly bearable through phones) :P

Big up

Synkro - Progression - Exit - thought this was a wicked track to start a mix of with
Beastie Respond - Syncopy - Teal - nice mix , subtle and smooth.
Loxy & Resound - Fall - Exit - another clean mix, well played.
Dub Phizix ft. Fox and Chingo - Narrow Eyes - Soul:R - went a bit wobbly at a point but u fixed it quickly. vocals got a lil left behind. reduce Fall's mid until the vocals poke through better and or give narrow eyes bass a touch more instead of being on min.. not much tho.
u forgot to add marka in ur t/l - mix was really impressive. touch less mid and trebble on narrow eyes tho just to smooth it out.
Mute and Mako - Cali Sleaze - Utopia Music - damnnnn.. thats swish!! would have eneded the mix early tho. cali sleeaze gets more hats after the first 16 or so and it gets in the way a little.
Skeptical - Blue Eyes - Ingredients - was wicked. then after it dropped in. cali sleaze had far too much trebble it was a bit piercing. i think u realised that coz it got turned down after a while.
Basher and Xtrah - Hubble - Subtitles - intro was smooth as. the drop .. well it was too much. i think theres some bass left on blue eyes and thats why it sounds distorted. and too much mid too. personally i would have had - blue eyes trebble down a notch. mid full bass zero. hubble trebble full mid down a lil bit and bass full.
Skeptical ft. MC Fokuc - The Truth - Dispatch - bit much trebble but not too bad on the intro. didn't think they worked well on the drop. esp when hubble's pad's came back in.
Jubei and Kasra - The Rift - Critical - intro sounding good over the truth. the basslines weren't bad either.
S.T. Files and Calibre - Falling Down - GreyAudio - great. sounded crisp. would have been tempted to stop the mix at the drop of falling down. although the bassline mix wasn't that bad, just think would have had more impact switching there. not every mix has to be a double.. although im guilty of this.
June Miller and Mindmapper - Quartz Controller - Buried Audio - basslines got a bit muffled there at points. i would have liked this blend but it was weirdly structured, esp with the switching of bass eq's. just got a bit confusing to be honest. if ur gonna eq switch during the mix. have some kind of symmetry structure about it.
S.P.Y. and Kasra - Surface - Critical - too much bass on bass. would have sounded pucka if not for that. and the harsh switch
Skeptical - Cold One (Jubei Remix) - Ingredients - i would have left out the kicks on the intro then brought it in. whats with the bass on bass man, it started off really well.
Hybris - Please Exist - Metalheadz - came in slightly loud, bring it in a lil lower then ease the volume up the last notch. tad less trebble. again bass on bass. Mindscape and Hydro - Pest Kontrol - Dispatch - wobbly beat match, came in way to suddenly . bass on bass!!!
Ulterior Motive ft. Codebreaker - It's On - Subtitles - Shizen when did this come out? nice mix man.
June Miller - Snapcase - Modules - digged it.
Mako and Survival - Freedom from Duality - Utopia Music - easy on the trebble. nice clean switch.
>>>Krakota - Scraper - Ingredients - a nice mix. bit too much bass tho sadly.
Keza - No Ghosts - Alignment Records - doh! missed the mix - sorry ppl were chatting to me - wicked tune. why ive not heard this before. will be bagging.
Fracture and FD - Galvanise - Subtitles - yes yes! my fav tune at the mo. so rude this one. nice blend.
Break - They're Wrong - Symmetry Recordings - yeah the mix was ok. wicked tune to finish on.

ok so this was swish. defo an improvment from the last one i checked from u.
only thing i would recomend is eq work. go easy on them.
start low and you can always build them up to taste.
and bass on bass? very very very few times this will acutally work.
tracklist was massive and a few tracks ive not heard and didn't know were out so big up for that.
really liked the way it started minimal and dark and got heavier going forwards.

edit.. fuck thats hard to read... good luck

Cheers for the feedback Teddy. Much appreciated. It's bloody nerve racking reading it though! Ha.

I definitely need to work on my bass work. I find it so hard to notice it's off when I'm mixing though, especially as my set up's quite rubbish (the decks are the only decent part of it ha). There was one intentional bit where had the two basslines going, with Surface because I didn't like how it sounded with it cut out completely, but went in too loud with it I think (if it should have been up at all). I've been trying to just have one bassline going at a time, but it's a hard habit to break, especially when I don't seem to even notice it sometimes! :S (probably shouldn't admit to that ha)

Anyway, I'm at work, so probably shouldn't be on here, but thanks again mate. Also, that Ulterior Motive track is out on Friday (I got it on test press off of Surus. Sucker for promos).

Big up mate

Sick tracklist will get on this! Just listened to start, is that the indigo remix of progression?

Cheers mate. Hope you like it. Yeah I'm not sure which version it is, to be honest. The stickers suggest it's the original, but I'm not 100% on that one because I think Exit may have changed the way they label their vinyl recently(?)

Back
Top Bottom