Skrillex Has Already Won Three Grammys

Discussion in 'UK Underground' started by 0xyg3n, Feb 13, 2012.

1. 0xyg3n

0xyg3n I've been naughty, I'm banned

Forbes
    Zack O'Malley Greenburg, Forbes Staff

[​IMG]

Skrillex helped put dubstep on the map in the U.S. over the past couple of years, and now he’s planting a flag in the mainstream music scene—the side-mulleted DJ has already nabbed three Grammys.

The awards, handed out in the Grammy pre-telecast ceremony at the Staples Center in Los Angeles, include Best Remixed Recording (Non-Classical) for the song “Cinema (Skrillex Remix)”; Best Dance/Electronic Album for Scary Monsters and Nice Sprites; and Best Dance Recording for the title track.

“This is really crazy for me, man,” said Skrillex, accepting the first award. “I made this song in my bedroom when I was living illegally in a warehouse in downtown L.A.”

After whipping out an iPhone to read a long list of thank-yous, he trotted back into the audience but returned soon after to accept two more awards.

“Stop!” he yelled, grinning. “Man, I can’t take this anymore … this is the most surreal day of my life.”

The 24-year-old DJ, part of our inaugural 30 Under 30 list in the music category, pointed out that his business model was only made possible by the advent of the internet and the notion of “being able to do whatever we want and putting it out for free.”

It’s safe to say Skrillex won’t need to live illegally in warehouses anymore—according to industry insiders, the DJ earns roughly $100,000 per night to spin at nightclubs. He performed 150 shows in 2011 and figures to make the Forbes Celeb 100 this spring.

Skrillex will likely get some more exercise tonight: the 24-year-old is nominated for a total of five Grammys, including Best New Artist.

For more on the business of music, see my Jay-Z biography Empire State of Mind. For full coverage of the 2012 Grammy Awards, follow my updates via Facebook and Twitter.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/zackomalleygreenburg/2012/02/12/skrillex-has-already-won-three-grammys/

[​IMG]

2. W3st

W3st Unsigned DnB Producer

sigh...... so many thoughts about skrillex. oh well hes reppin southern cal and rippin up the rest of the world. can't deny the man has talent, props to skrillex!!

3. sammys

sammys Shelter Birmingham

oh dear
    i don't even like telling people i listen to dubstep anymore because its associated with the likes of him and those god-awful screeches he releases

4. Harry3

Harry3 Chuki

you fucking what

5. Teddy

Teddy 60% Staff Member

well done
    he really deserved recognition

6. Agent Smith

Agent Smith Currently Putins Koala

mega lulz.

something inside of me cringed when I read this. pretty shocking.

7. DeeGun

DeeGun Church of Krust

this grammy show was a greasy pile of ushit.

8. edd.

edd. Member

oh...wow...i think i was inside waiting for everyone to realise how bad his music is...

9. muzzadj

muzzadj POW!