Skool of Hard Knocks - Opinions?

Mulla

Digital Future
VIP Junglist
So what are people saying?

IMO Hardware have well and truly come with the goods again! :slayer:

Only 2 tunes I wasnt too keen on were 'Skool of Hard Knocks' and 'Bandsaw' but even theyre starting to grow on me!!!

'Unreal' has to be possibly the filthiest bits of vinyl to have graced my turntables in the last couple of months!!! I can also see 'War Cry' and 'B-Boy Convention' receiving heavy rotation!

What about you lot?

I haven't had a chance to get my hands on the vinyl yet but I've listened to alot of the tracks & my god they are superb. They definetly selected the right producers to make this LP become legendary in the Hardware back catalogue & d&b in general. As you put it Mulla 'Unreal' is sick imo probably the stand out track on the LP, but still love the Universal Project piece 2. I can only see them getting stronger after this, I mean look at the constant release's they fired out last year all killer 12's that dominated the scence. The only labels I can see matching them this year for consistency & regular output is Outbreak & Gain (no favourotism just looking releases).

Flo said:
I love 80 % of this Lp
20 % left being Bandsaw & that Digital tune which are pretty average imo
Antrim :boom:

I was saying to my friend the other day about Digital's productions. He's amazing at creating his own dub style but he can be hit & miss with the tunes. I like his effort on this but 'Ghost Ship' was better!!! Also Flo you didn't have a recent outing with Raiden on a certain release on Outbreak did you?

I think it's a pretty average album myself, none of the tracks are particularly bad but none of them are particularly great either.

I like it, think its one of the first albums by various artist's that I actually like almost all of the tracks - usually ending up getting em for 1 or 2!

Good work Hardware !

Oh, and the launch party in Bristol was sick!!!!

:dutty:

Good Lp. anybody order it from the tov shop and not get it yet. I ordered it like two weeks ago and have still yet to recieve it. anybody else have this problem?

Apparently Royal Mail fucked up and never gave TOV the stamps and never came to collect all the records to post out or something. Think Chris@TOV (think that was his name?) said people should be getting them at latest thurs/fri!

What I read anyway!

zestkitten.jpg

So this is a good release? Hardware hasn't released any thing that was nice since "The harder they come part 3" and that was a few years back it seems. Have they got back to the 93 darkside-ish sound? Last time I checked (Earth vol 1) they were doing boring techstep again which made me loose interest with a quickness.

FYI: The title of this post was very confusing for me. The "Skool of Hard Knocks" was a regge jungle group that released on Sonic Records in 1994. For a minute there I thought they had made a come back and Mulla was praising them.

Last edited:
1992 said:
FYI: The title of this post was very confusing for me. The "Skool of Hard Knocks" was a regge jungle group that released on Sonic Records in 1994. For a minute there I thought they had made a come back and Mulla was praising them.

Skool Of Hard Knocks were wicked , Kan U Feel It is one of my favourite ever jungle tunes :thumbsup:

sayber said:
Nice 1 Trucker, thanks for putting that 1 straight. I thought they may have been the same person seeing as they both got the same name & reside in France.

Sorry for the confusion... :|
We both reside in the same town though ! Rennes...

I was pretty damn disappointed. Only really like minds eye and unreal. War Crys alright, but nothin special. Think the BC tunes pretty poor.

I picked up a copy.

As an overall package I'd say average. I well like a couple of tracks, but rest are just OK.

Don't know how the BC tune got on there.

That Hater's tune cracks me up - vocal sounds super cheesy!!

Back
Top Bottom