Drum & Bass Silent rave

Discussion in 'Drum & Bass' started by Fire starter, Nov 10, 2011.

1. Fire starter

Fire starter Active Member

Due to noise pollution problems my dnb night got shut down by te council.
    I tried many different options ie different venues or creating a new venue by renting a warehouse. None of which got permission from the council so I thought my night was over.
    Until the over day I realised I could host a silent rave.
    As soon as i put my idea to the authorities that be , they okayed straight away.

So I was just wondering if any of you have ever been to a silent rave and what you thought about it ect As I have never been to one but have always wanted to give it ago

2. J.M.

J.M. Member

I saw this at Bonnaroo in 2008, a silent disco. They provided the headphones to people, so it was limited to the amout of headphones available.

How many people do you expect? The wireless headphones need batteries/charging during the event most likely, how you see dealing with that?

Just somethings to think about.

3. toolx

toolx DJ Ambiont

dont think this would work great for dnb man.
    much of the punch that dnb delivers live is coming from the whole room vibrating and you feeling the bass in your chest, in my opinion.

4. Attire

Attire Last Winter

I think going to one of these nights would be kinda awkward.

5. Harry3

Harry3 Chuki

could never imagine going to one of these tbh

soon though the torys are gonna scrap the need for council/police permission for events, under their big society thing

6. Multeeplex

Multeeplex very drunken

Sounds a bit weird imo... don't think it would fit with DnB either, but might work out with slower and less heavier genres

7. $pyto

$pyto Soundcloud changed everything

Not for me

I go ravin to hear LOUD beats

8. WhoSayReload?

WhoSayReload? Well-Known Member

This Fucking floor was bouncing up and down when the room was empty on Saurday I swear lol.

9. Mish Mash

Mish Mash Well-Known Member

I've DJ'd at a silent disco thing once. Had to do a 4 hour set! Carrying four hours of vinyl down there wasn't fun! But it went down quite well, I think the venue has a lot to do with it though.
    The one I played at was in a small cellar kind of thing that was dark and held about 200 people. Meant that people weren't too embarassed to go for it even though the room was silent outside of their headphones. And there were two DJ's, me playing dnb, and another guy using virtual dj to play the cheesiest tunes known to man! Was pretty funny watching half of the people singing along to mr brightside while the other half skank out to diplodocus!

10. DJ NUERA

DJ NUERA 5HEAD

Would you just have to mix through the headphones though?

11. Fire starter

Fire starter Active Member

My night only runs for 5 hours + most people only turn up from 10 til 1 so i hopefully i wont have to many problems although im gonna ring the company up to see what they say about the battery life and to see if i will need more headphones.

I only mix through my headphones anyway. But for the other djs on the night I'm going to provided some small monitors.

I have spoke to quite a few of my punters about it most are optimistic or excited about the idea. Although i am aware the sub bass is a HUGE factor to a good dnb night.
    I wouldn't even consider doing this normally but under the circumstances its either silent rave or no rave. I could move into swindon and put a night on there but the place is unbelievably hard to crack. Promotors which huge budgets fail to even match let alone beat my attendance levels. Which is stupid as i put on nights in tiny little market town wootton bassett and swindon is almost a city.

12. Forau

Forau CONCUSSION RECS

This.

Was sick having the silent rave at raindance last new years, could go into western union street tunnel, light up a ciggy/joint, put some headphones on, choose between 3 different styles of music and listen to some music whilst enjoying a smoke, occassionally taking the headphones off and talking to people, or just look at all the people and laugh because theres 3 different kinds of music playing, and each persons listening to something different.

Like i say, its great as a side attraction to a main event. Its not a main event though.

And the equipment costs a bomb.

If people cant feel the bass in their chest, theyre not gonna be feeling the night :(.

13. AreYouReady

AreYouReady Member

couldnt imagine a good atmosphere at a dnb silent rave, i assume the novelty would wear off pretty quick