Sidechaining?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDY5LEkPCcEwe need MARZLTAH da Dub Professor to explain how to do it in FL8 :teeth:

i would but sidechaining aint really my territory, i dont know much about it

only ever used it in one track i did

you can do it with the peak controller in FL, theres a vid around somewhere, i'll see if i can find it tomorrow.... im off to bed now, gotta be up early, i should be in bed already but im working on a new track and ive been up for hours :coffee:

i got a sneaky feeling that if you can sidechain well, it can become an essential process in making a professional tune. Some of the harder concepts to grasp are usuallly the ones worth knowing. I'm the same as everyone else tho..... fuckit!!!

i managed to do this the other day for first time after following a vid on you tube for reason. its quite hard to do but the overall effect is good, but agian its normally 4/4 beats and stuff like that which use it. one ive just been learning is lfo's low frequency ocilaters! basically gives you that wooh sound you hear in loadsa dnb like optical to shape the future remix future prophecies tunes tomb raider by fresh etc u should try that its wicked

What does it actually do?

sorry for the dumb question.

You'd usually sidechain the snare to trigger the dip in the signal.

or alternatively you can cut out a small section of you bass track where the snare is or when it would trigger. It has the same effect.

If you can learn and perfect sidechaining and get the ratios right it's a great way of working.

guys guys, sidechaining bass will not make your tunes professional. its just used to achieve a particular sound. The pumping feel of the bass with the kick, a typical disco house tune would do just that.

there's tons of info on The Grid, just search for sidechaining for tutorials for cubase and FL.

Last edited:
Sidechaining is basically the technique of assigning one VST/VSTi/channel to another in order for the former to have some control/effect on the latter.
The most common use of Sidechaining is attaching a filter to a channel used for bass and a controller of sorts to a channel used for a kick drum, the effect being that the kick triggers the filter on the bass so that the bass "ducks" and therefore not distorting when the two frequencies collide.
You can do the same things on high frequencies too (but in the opposite direction, obviously) so that high hats and bleeps/arpegs can be heard through warm pads, and to give snares a bit more punch.

And now one of my posts from the FL Studio tips thread, telling you how to sidechain in FL Studio (y)

How to sidechain in FL Studio

First, wack your kicks and bass into seperate mixer channels.

Next put a fruity peak controller on the kick drums channel.

Next put a fruity balance on the bass channel.

Next, keep the fruity balance infront of you and right click volume knob and select 'Link to controller...'

Now a 'remote control settings' box will pop up, if you look around about the upper middle you'll see a box labled 'Internal controller'. Click the drag down bar and a set of things to link to should pop up.

Now select the 'peak ctrl FX #' depending on which channel you placed the peak controller you want to link to.

Now select the 'peak' parameter and only the peak parameter.

Now when you got that linked up go to the peak controller and fiddle with the 'Peak' settings which is the top box. You're aiming for the kick to not clash with the bass so fiddle with it so that the bass ducks out for a few milliseconds and allows the kick to come through full effect.

EDIT: Sorry my post is a bit late, only noticed the thread right now. Don't give up on the forum just because you didn't get an immediate reply, we have a good selection of producers ready to give any advide they have to offer (and a lot more readily and eager than some forums that shall not be named.) Patience, young padawan.

Last edited:
EDIT: Sorry my post is a bit late, only noticed the thread right now. Don't give up on the forum just because you didn't get an immediate reply, we have a good selection of producers ready to give any advide they have to offer (and a lot more readily and eager than some forums that shall not be named.) Patience, young padawan.
yo, by no means i meant forget this place and go to cows on crack. it was just the only place that i knew it would defo had FL sidechaining tutorials. never opened our FL tips thread, as im a Cubase whore.
This place has indeed some good talents, and i do read it often.
you can start advertising the fact that i read your production forum. just get in touch with my agency to arrange price.
peace

:)teeth:)

are there any vids for sidechaining in cubase 4, been messing round for hours now and still no closer to figuring it out. the video on the first page is in cubase 3 i think, and everything is set out different in the vst connections page and i cant seem to made a stereo out for the group channel. can anyone help?

yo, by no means i meant forget this place and go to cows on crack. it was just the only place that i knew it would defo had FL sidechaining tutorials. never opened our FL tips thread, as im a Cubase whore.
This place has indeed some good talents, and i do read it often.
you can start advertising the fact that i read your production forum. just get in touch with my agency to arrange price.
peace

:)teeth:)

Was for the thread starter, but thank you nonetheless.
Your agency was pleased to find out that plugging yourself on the forums, they've been a little concerned about your lack of clients recently :teeth:

Back
Top Bottom