Sidechaining

from wiki article:

Side-chaining-

This feature uses the dynamic level of another input to control the compression level of the signal. This is used by disc jockeys to lower the music volume automatically when speaking, for example (known as ducking). A frequency-specific compressor (often known as a de-esser) may be constructed by feeding a high-pass filtered copy of the original signal into the side-chain input of the compressor so that volume reduction on the original signal only takes place when a specific frequency is present in large amounts (such as sibilant sounds that tend to overdrive preemphasized media such as phonograph records and FM radio). Another use of the side-chain in music production serves to maintain a loud bass track, while still keeping the bass out of the way of the drum when the drum hits.
:orly:
hope this helps:)

all about sidechainging...

cant wait for cubase 4...
easier sidechaining....
such a bitch to do in 3

all about sidechainging...

cant wait for cubase 4...
easier sidechaining....
such a bitch to do in 3

:word:
Chain Gang time!!!!!
Basically sidechaining is using another signal to trigger the compressor/ noise gate on a different signal i.e. getting your sub to drop in volume when your kick hits.
Waves C1 comp sc (or simlilar is used)
I personally don't sidechain unless really necessary, i make sure my eq and comp settings are sweet before going into Chain Gang territory.

if you have TC DeEsserCompressor (TC works bundle) it's heaps easy, no fucken around with left>right multi channel crap.

*Just whack the SideChainer plug on the track you want to be the master (signal send track)(right term??) i.e. kick if you want to duck the bass under it.
*Then put the DeEsserCompressor on the track you want to compress. e.g. Bass
Then you turn the key input on, adjust your compression settings and you're laughing

But yes, cannot wait til Cubase/Nuendo 4 to take the bitchwork out of it!

as far as i am aware there is no capability in Reason mate, the compressor is not detailed enough
I may be wrong though?

Reason 3 Does have sidechaining capability bro! I know, I use it. Since the introduction of the M-class Compressor, you can now do it. Here is a simple way to keep your bassline from over powering your kick drum. Once you have created your Bass sound and Bass line, put an M-Class compressor on it. Once you have your beat programmed in the Redrum, take the right out of your main kick and connect it to the "sidechain in" of the M-Class Compressor that you just created. You don't need to use the left and right audio on the main kick, since it is panned dead center in the mix. So the Right channel Out will be available to do this.

Go to the M-Class and turn the Ratio to Infinity. Now, turn your Attach and Release to the left side the whole way. This will give you a starting point to work with. You will want to mess w/ the Attach and Release to get it just right. Now you are set.

Reason 3 Does have sidechaining capability bro! I know, I use it. Since the introduction of the M-class Compressor, you can now do it. Here is a simple way to keep your bassline from over powering your kick drum. Once you have created your Bass sound and Bass line, put an M-Class compressor on it. Once you have your beat programmed in the Redrum, take the right out of your main kick and connect it to the "sidechain in" of the M-Class Compressor that you just created. You don't need to use the left and right audio on the main kick, since it is panned dead center in the mix. So the Right channel Out will be available to do this.

Go to the M-Class and turn the Ratio to Infinity. Now, turn your Attach and Release to the left side the whole way. This will give you a starting point to work with. You will want to mess w/ the Attach and Release to get it just right. Now you are set.

there you go i knew i was wrong!!!!
I ent used reason for a couple o years so .....................hey ho the merryo grab a quaff o beer an dance the jig

Back
Top Bottom