Sidechaining to two channels from one compressor in Ableton?

Discussion in 'Production' started by mr meh, Jul 26, 2012.

1. mr meh

mr meh Well-Known Member

So i wanna sidechain a high passed break to my kick AND snare in Ableton but the compressor only lets you choose one channel to sidechain to. I know the obvious answer would be to group the kick and snare together but my kick and snare layers are already in there own groups, and Ableton doesnt let you group within groups.

Anyone know how to do this without adding another compressor?

2. ARTFX

ARTFX www.artfx-studios.com

You could use a Drum Rack and group your kick and snare in there, you can apply the effects on the different groups just like you can within group tracks. Then you can sidechain with the group track as the trigger. Otherwise, what I normally do, is make a new SIDECHAIN TRIGGER track, which contains a kickdrum in a simpler instrument so you can control the transients with an envelope. I then use that track to trigger all the sidechaining within my track, and of course I mute the SIDECHAIN TRIGGER track so you can't hear it.

Last option is to just add two compressors, one for the kick other one for the snare, this only works when the kick and snare are not playing at the same time though...

3. Saint

Saint Buried Audio

Yeah id either make a new channel with a muted hit where the kicks / snares are.

Or send them both to a muted bus and sidechain to that.

4. mr meh

mr meh Well-Known Member

Ok thanks guys

I ended up just using 2 compressors with half the compression on each

cheers