SideChaining Shiz

greenflydnb

Whats up!!

I have just entered the world of sidechaining, i understand that it is used to 'duck' the bass to allow the kick drum's presence to be heard more but whats some more sick things i can do with sidechaining? Im looking for some crazy effect kinda shiz.

Sound.

Side chain a hi hat pattern with reverb on it to the kick and snare. Gives the hats a nice rushing, pulsating sound. Pads, strings anything really can be chained to something else. Don't confirm to rules, toy around, see what you come up with

I know, I've been told many times not to abide by rules for making dnb. That sounds like some good ideas to get me going though :) big ups!!!

---------- Post added at 21:15 ---------- Previous post was at 20:56 ----------

Yo Mr Fletch sir, how do I side chain the hihats to the kick and snare?

Side chain in to your bass with a "ghost kick"(spooky). If you put your placements right you can get this cool woosh sound kinda like a filter gate opening but different.

You don't just have to use a kick to activate the sidechain! :) normally my sidechain triggers are muted so it would just be placement that I would change but perhaps try using your snare to trigger it! :D

I tried this once on a pad and it kinda sounded wierd, you might get something interesting with it though! :)

If your synth has a sidechain input (Like the ES1 in Logic), you can play a note and then have a break sidechained to the instrument. Doing so will activate the synth sound only when the drums are smacking, good for creating glitchy type synth/basslines.

Cheers.

If your synth has a sidechain input (Like the ES1 in Logic), you can play a note and then have a break sidechained to the instrument. Doing so will activate the synth sound only when the drums are smacking, good for creating glitchy type synth/basslines.

Cheers.

dude, we're supposed to be a team. you gotta keep me in the loop!

j/k, sick idea though. look out for something with this idea to appear in a dropbox shared folder near you...

Get a Synth going and then send it too a bus. On that bus put a reverb and then sidechain that bus too your original Synth. This is basically bringing in the reverb after the synth has played and it keeps a reverb sound without muddying up you mix.

Hope that helps, Cheers ;)

I know, I've been told many times not to abide by rules for making dnb. That sounds like some good ideas to get me going though :) big ups!!!

---------- Post added at 21:15 ---------- Previous post was at 20:56 ----------

Yo Mr Fletch sir, how do I side chain the hihats to the kick and snare?

Same as you would anything else? Put a compressor on your hats, side chain it to the kick, duplicate, and change the source on the 2nd to the snare.

Cheers.

Loads of things kind be sidechained this way in Logic! Just only found out how to use the sidechain option on the autofilter!

Heavily sidechaining something LFO'd (like a wobble bass) can sometimes render interesting results too

I like to add a very little bit sidechain to the bass from my snares. Lets those bastards smash throughout he mix. . . . . . . .I'll also SC compress the sub bass a little bit from my whipping filtered bass to let that come through. You can pretty much side chain anything to anything. . . .Try compressing you're high hat track to your snare, play with the release and you get a nice high hat build up into every snare. and gets those heads bobbing!

sidechain bass on bass with a combination of filters u can end up with some seriously mad sounds

Back
Top Bottom