Sidechained dynamic EQing with Pro-Q3

fanu

If you're not familiar with how to do sidechained dynamic EQing with Pro-Q3, time to learn!
So good for making room for a vocal in a busy mix, for example, or carving some kick freqs out of a bassline – all dynamically…fairly precise and takes fairly little work and effort.

These 10 minutes will teach you how.

-Your loving mixing and mastering enginerd / Mastering and Mixing by Fanu

I've recently moved over to Bitwig and I've been doing this a lot of it's built in EQ. I used to do sidechain compression with the kick and snare on a lot of element, but doing it via EQ is so much better.

I use neutron 2 as my main eq, and use the dynamic mode all the time.. I find it's faster to dial in, plus the option to boost OR reduce at a given threshold is nice. Multiband compressors (at least the ones I used to use) had dedicated crossovers. With a dyneq you can compress/boost any one, two, three, etcetcetc frequency bandwidths (you dont affect the full spectrum of sound, just the bits you want to, and you have more bandwidth "nodes" that you can set.

I'm sure someone else will reply with a more thorough response, but I hope that gives you the rough idea.

you can do a narrower q value I am guessing than multiband compression ? Which still has its uses I am sure :)

Yeah it does. I've compared between the 2 and I just feel that I have a bit more control by using an EQ.

In Bitwig I can also modulate the frequency by midi, which is rather useful.

What is amzing me is 10 years ago the plugins and information was not there. Now you can really learn fast. I never knew about all of his. Though I did get my last track ( eth competition one) played to someone signed, and they don't use sidechaining in their mixdown..they could see I hadn't ( I imagine for the wrong reasons) too...

Back
Top Bottom