Sidechained-Bassline?

Dj Locust

Hi mates!
I need your help (again) ^^

Well, im trying to create that kind of "sidechained-bassline" (i dont know how to call it xD).

I heard it in many songs like:
Nero - Juggernauts: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Nb1JkW0wrU
Dharma Intent - You Can See it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0m4wJwOo87E
Camo & Krooked - Numbers: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORcMfmIC4oU

When i try to recreate this sound, it always sounds boring. Im using Massive and i just dont know which waves i should take...

Thanks
locust

and again, especially with this sound, its got nothing to do with the waves youre using, just has to do with the melody being the most important part. if te riff is shit, you can process whatever fuck you want out of your bassline, ittl never sound as in numbers or juggernaut..

secondly, its very important to let it breath, but at the same time you want impact. so dont overpack it in the low mid area, leave some space, add some subtle reverbing and chorus, and in fact even as important as the first tip, make up some DECENT drums to go along (listen to the ones in juggernaut, theyre pretty basic, nonetheless REALLY big, this open hi hat shaker type thing is IMMENSE).

and now to the sidechaining side of things. first you got to decide, do you want a full on dillinja sidechain-effekt or a subtler effekt? sidechain to the snare and fiddle around till its NEVER the same loudness for more than a milisecond, but doesnt get to loud or to subtle in the mix (attack/decay of the sidechaining) aswell.

now try to fill out the gaps you made, so basicly around your snares. try that shaker thing like in juggernaut, put some melodic elements over the top like in kronix or vice chase, or maybe even reverse your mids, make the reversed ones lower in the mix and play that while your main sounds duck. be creative. it doesnt start sounding good just because its sidechained ;)

and again, especially with this sound, its got nothing to do with the waves youre using, just has to do with the melody being the most important part. if te riff is shit, you can process whatever fuck you want out of your bassline, ittl never sound as in numbers or juggernaut..

secondly, its very important to let it breath, but at the same time you want impact. so dont overpack it in the low mid area, leave some space, add some subtle reverbing and chorus, and in fact even as important as the first tip, make up some DECENT drums to go along (listen to the ones in juggernaut, theyre pretty basic, nonetheless REALLY big, this open hi hat shaker type thing is IMMENSE).

and now to the sidechaining side of things. first you got to decide, do you want a full on dillinja sidechain-effekt or a subtler effekt? sidechain to the snare and fiddle around till its NEVER the same loudness for more than a milisecond, but doesnt get to loud or to subtle in the mix (attack/decay of the sidechaining) aswell.

now try to fill out the gaps you made, so basicly around your snares. try that shaker thing like in juggernaut, put some melodic elements over the top like in kronix or vice chase, or maybe even reverse your mids, make the reversed ones lower in the mix and play that while your main sounds duck. be creative. it doesnt start sounding good just because its sidechained ;)

what dillinja tunes has he done this in ?> never really noticed it ?

im not so sure dillinja sidechains much, just sounds like his tracks are massively compressed, although depends how old we are talking here...

as for side chaining, what software are you using? if you are using cubase 5 its a fucking doddle to set up: stick a vst3 compressor on your bass (built in cubase5 one works, or fabfilter pro-c is wicked too), and hit the sidechain input button at the top (near the bypass button).

now go to your drum track (or whatever you are sidechaining the bass with) and go to the sends bit, where you will send to the sidechain input (it will be clearly marked). now mess about with the settings on the bass compressor till it sounds how you want it to.

dont forget, you dont need a compressor to get the sidechain effect. render everything to audio, and then use your volume automation to create peaks and valleys wherever you want them. i reckon this gives you far more control over the curve of the effect, and visual feedback so you know exactly how you're affecting the sound.

dont forget, you dont need a compressor to get the sidechain effect. render everything to audio, and then use your volume automation to create peaks and valleys wherever you want them. i reckon this gives you far more control over the curve of the effect, and visual feedback so you know exactly how you're affecting the sound.

Definately man, plus if you want seperate hits to cut through slightly differently to others then with sidechaining you can end up automating the compressor settings, splitting it across different tracks using different compressors and so on, could end up getting pretty complicated. Automation ftw on this one, its a feature thats so easy now with DAW's, worth taking advantage of it.

Back
Top Bottom