Sidechain... filtering?

Pixelscum

I was trying to come up with a way to create a kind of sidechain lowpass. Trigger the frequency of the lowpass filter using a kick or whatever.
Is there a plugin that does this? I think it'd be brilliant.

I'm using Ableton, maybe I can manage within the program? If I'm overlooking a simple technique I'm gonna kick myself in the head.

Thanks a heap

There is a primeloops tutorial I found googling that might be doing what you mean? Maybe not as flexible as one would like. Maybe there's a way to control automation via sidechaining.
Basically you click the options triangle of autofilter, click the sidechain and set the input to the kick or whatever you want to sidechain from. It doesn't do much until you lower the envelope parameter and it only seems to be able to impact the frequency from what I can see with a quick look. I'm not the best with Live, just started using it a bit!

How? With the peak controller?

yes.

(eg put a peak controller on the kick, then right-click on the knob/value you wanna sidechain to it, choose 'link to controller' and select the peak controller of the kick, for volume sidechaining i would choose also 'invert')

There is a primeloops tutorial I found googling that might be doing what you mean? Maybe not as flexible as one would like. Maybe there's a way to control automation via sidechaining.
Basically you click the options triangle of autofilter, click the sidechain and set the input to the kick or whatever you want to sidechain from. It doesn't do much until you lower the envelope parameter and it only seems to be able to impact the frequency from what I can see with a quick look. I'm not the best with Live, just started using it a bit!

Thanks so much! I haven't really ever touched the auto filter, but this is definitely gonna come in handy.

How? With the peak controller?

yes.

(eg put a peak controller on the kick, then right-click on the knob/value you wanna sidechain to it, choose 'link to controller' and select the peak controller of the kick, for volume sidechaining i would choose also 'invert')
^ Pretty much that, another way I've used that is to automate a high pass filter on the bass to the kick so that it takes out some of the low freqs when clashing with a kick.

Back
Top Bottom