Sidechain Compression: Kick and bass

Discussion in 'Production' started by WhoSayReload?, Jan 16, 2016.

1. WhoSayReload?

WhoSayReload? Well-Known Member

So I'm now grinning from ear to ear after finally making a tune where my bass doesn't clash with my kick and sound like a piece of shit.

Which has got me wondering... is side chain compression the principle way of ducking out bass frequencies that overlap your kick or should you focus more on intricately eqing the two parts to separate them?

Peace

Alert likes this.
  2. sam the dnb man

sam the dnb man Variation

I use a combination of both, but I try not to side chain. It's always a last resort, unless it want to create some movement with my sub.
    I usually use a hi hat as a side chain input, as the release of a kick might make it sound a bit loose.

3. IV4

IV4 Currently a newt.

You may hate me for this answer but it is all about what sounds good. Sometimes I side chain the kick, sometime I just play with the eq, and sometimes I just compress the kick. There are an infinite amount of ways to get your kick to pop out, the most simple of which is just to control your volume levels.
    On a side note I use side chaining all the time in pads, strings, leads and all sorts of things to create swooping motions and cool patterns.

Alert likes this.
  4. mugatu

mugatu Verva Music

[QUOTE="IV4, post: 1559338, member: 65744"On a side note I use side chaining all the time in pads, strings, leads and all sorts of things to create swooping motions and cool patterns.[/QUOTE]

This is such a great thing it works on almost everything. Ill set up a kick, kick and snare and 4x4 sidechain triggers where ill put breaks, rides, percs nearly all my drum stuff through these, it creats the best pumping bouncy drums. Id like to add that if your having problems sitting the kick and bass then the sounds being used are not right to begin with, you shouldnt need to do anything to make em fit but sometimes it sounds sick to do so..

Alert likes this.
  5. Kyba

Kyba Mew Nember

Ever since I discovered side chaining the kick and bass I've always used it, sometimes aggressively sometimes subtly, depending on the tune. I use a copy of the kick with a much shorter sustain as the trigger though to keep the sidechain tight.

6. RUSSLA

RUSSLA DNBF Monarch

I do it every tune now as it's just quicker and easier; sub and bass bus. Make a copy of the kick & snare tracks, mute it, add an enveloper and tweak to taste, use a super fast attack & release and also a quick compressor type (Opto in Logic is the fastest). Done.

More recently tho i've been doing more frequency dependent side-chaining using a dynamic eq.

Void Stalker likes this.
  7. Dark Lizardro

Dark Lizardro The Lizard that has a hammer Staff Member

One thing I noticed is that people tend to believe that sidechain must be on it's full force, like ducking an infinite ammount of db out of whatever it's affecting. I second what Ivan said here: you can create come cool movements to pads, leads and whatnot by using gentle sidechain. Example? grab that delay channel you have on your mixer and make it as the input for the sidechain to an ambient pad to see what happens. Very, very interesting things.

Alert likes this.
  8. EvezDroppin

EvezDroppin how to change name,......

I will use it as sparingly as possible while keeping the sub and kick seperate.... As some have mentioned its a great way to get movement in the sub.

I use a similar method to russla and use the zero output volume to create areas of sub movement separate to where the kick hits!

9. Void Stalker

Void Stalker New Member

Simple eqing and simple side chaining, the rest is making sure the drums and bass are nearer my desired frequencies in the first place

10. POIRONE

POIRONE New Member

Eq + Side Chain

11. xiris

xiris Constantly Learning

You guys may be interested in a free little plug-in from Heel Audio called DuckEQ.

>> LINK <<

12. -agu-

-agu- Member

13. OpinionAudio

OpinionAudio New Member

Side chain compression works but its not the best. Often compressors, especially daw built in compressors) are too slow to the get the job done correctly. Try using an envelope shaper for for ducking out the beginning bass transients that overlap your kick. The effect is instant and much more clean.