Sidechain compression in reason

dj-dusty

VIP Junglist
Oi oi peeps, i was told that the best way to get your kick to punch through your sub bass was to use sidechain compression, problem is, i dont know how to use it properly in reason, can anyone help me out please.

It's not always the BEST way, becuase it will still create a short dip in the bass

Unless you actually want that effect where the bass sucks in and out very quickly, I would suggest working on equing to get your kick to cut through cleanly, and not conflict with the low end

true that sidechain compression is mainly used in house music to make it "pump" but u can use it in dnb for things like rides / percussion and ur kick (as noisia have done so in quite a few of their tunes), i agree tho that its not a necessity, careful eqin can overcome kick / sub conflicts although its all down to the individual track ur workin on, it can help if u have a really low kick :D

it's really quite simple in reason

hook up a spider audio splitter to your kick, and split it so that it sends one signal to the mixer, and the other to the 'sidechain in' of an mclass audio compressor

then just get whatever you want sidechained (say you bass for example) and route it in the usual way through the mclass compressor

then just play around with the ratio and threshold on the compression unit

easy as that :)

ID SAY ITS LIKE THIS SIMPEL NOT HARD LOOK RUN A EQ AND COMPRESSOR FOR YOU KICKS YOU WANT TO RUN A MAXAMIZER AND TONE IT WITH YOU EQ SET COMPRESSOR SO YOU HAVE A LEVEL AND BY EAR PULL UP THE SOUND WITH THE MAXAMIZER . THE TRICK IS TO GET YOU EQ LEVEL JUST RITE SO YOU GET THAT CLEEN CRISP PUNCH KICK WITH OUT TAKING FROM YOUR BASS . USEING THE COMBO OF THE THREE WILL SET YOU FREE FROM THINKING TO HARD I FOUND OUT THE LONG WAY LOL OVER AND OVER .. I USE REASON AND MY RELESES COME OUT AND PEPZ CANT TELL I USE REASON . JUST KNOW YOU CAN GET ALL YOU WANT OUT OF IT IT JUST HOW YOU USE YOUR TOOLS .... CHECK OUT MY WORK FROM URBAN-ANARCHY-RECORDS HERE myspace.com/sickorwell

ive found theres 100 diff ways to one thing when it come production so dont sell your self short by geting stuck doing the same on all your work take chances .... its music theres no rules except make it sound good lol .. SORRY ABOUT MY SPELLING I MAKE DNB I DONT DO SPELLING B'S LOL

Back
Top Bottom