Shy FX, Skibadee, Fearless @ Prophecy FM, Toronto '98

bue.

Hey, I have been building an enormous rave/jungle/drum & bass collection over the years and this is favorite set by far!

I have both sides, I got them from dnbsets.de, I thought the B side was pitched up, but I soon realised both of them were, just the B side more! I also thought they were the best there was out there so I re-encoded the B side at what I thought was the right pitch (same as the A side).

I've always wanted the tape or some kind of official release of this set so I could rip it in .flac with amazing clarity!

But recently I stumbled across this on youtube, it's a 10 minute clip of the A side in brilliant quality for 360p and at the proper pitch!

I've tried contacting the uploader but he hasn't logged in for 7 months :-/ so I've come to none other than the dnb forum for help!

If anyone knows where I can get hold of the tape I will personally paypal you £20 for the trouble, I've read that it was released on CD which I'd prefer even more, if anyone has any info on it whatsoever please share :)

I blast this set all the time in my car, this thread is not just about me trying to find an original copy but for anyone here to share their opinions on one of the greatest oldskool sets of all time!

I apologise for asking on a new account I used to have a seasoned dnbforum account a long time ago but I've lost my old email address, much love if you've read my problem and are going to help me in any way! :rasta:

this is a bad boy set one of my favs aswell you tried getting in touch with the radio station? good luck and let me now the outcome!

Thank you for the interest!

Here's the email I've sent to CIUT, hopefully good news to come!

********* To ciutmusicdepartment@gmail.com

Hello and if you're reading this email, thank you!

I am looking for an original copy of this set, there are many versions
floating around that are in bad quality and pitched up, they're also
missing a few of tracks from the end of the tape.

Shy FX, Skibadee & Fearless, 1998, August 15th.

I have found a 10 minute clip on youtube of the set with amazing
clarity at the proper pitch, now I know there's a much better version
out there I have to find it! :)

What I am asking is if you guys at CIUT have the recording, and if so
is there any way I could possibly get hold of it, even if I have to
pay!

I have no intention of selling or releasing it or anything like that I
just want blast it in my car and share it with every drum & bass fan
around the world!

I have tried contacting the uploader on youtube but he hasn't logged
on for 7 months and I don't think I will be getting a reply at all, so
in a desperate attempt at finding this recording I am asking you to
please help me and every jungle head out there :) if you don't have
the recording please could you point me in the right direction or tell
me any way I could go about finding it, I've heard it was released on
CD.

If you have any information whatsoever it will all help!

I have tried to find some way to contact Marcus Visionary or DJ Prime
to no avail, I believe they hosted the session so if you know any way
I could get in touch with them that would be much appreciated!

Big thanks from the UK!

i've got it on my pc somewhere, cant remember what the quality was like. if i get time over the weekend ill have a look for you.

Most recordings people have of this are of lesser quality, its the same recording just spread. This is one of the all time greatest sets ever, so a better version would be amazing, so best of luck to you.

Just so everyone is aware, this was most likely never recorded by the radio station. CIUT is a university radio station with minimal funding, they have an anual fund raising campaign every year. All the recording of this mix were by people sitting by their radios at 8pm sharp with their fingers on the play/record buttons on their respective tape decks. Therefore, all recording, just like the ones I posted are ripped from tapes. Sometimes, again like in the one I posted, you will hear radio static.

Just an FYI.

Yeah indeed why i thought a high quality of this would be hard to come by indeed. The one ive heard over and over under different names is the same copy.

Ok just to clear up a few things:

I know the radio station wouldn't have recorded it, but they may know more about the recording.

It is the same recording, if you listen to both the MP3 and the youtube video it has the same tape skips, same static, same everything, except the sounds are alot clearer and it hasn't been pitched up.

I believe these sets floating around are copies of copies, the original set was re-recorded onto another tape (we're talking 1998 here) etc until somewhere along the way it was re-recorded pitched up, having lost quality already, then eventually lost some more until many years later ripped into a digital format on PC, in 128kbps (lower quality) and on and on until we have today one of the best drum and bass sets, but really watered down.

Some good news!!

I've got in contact with youtube uploader, apparently the file was first sourced from limewire, I have to pay him £20 for the full MP3 because he had to buy a hard drive off his mate (or some shit, probably bullshit but idc lol) I'm going to get on limewire and have a look around before I pay the £20 :)

Apparently, he only has the A side, which I'm ok with as it's the best side IMO.

Re: MC Skibadee PHROPHECY
Yo ive found it on an old hard-drive which wasn't mine it was my mates and i had to buy that hard-drive off of him, so the £20 is going to be necessary, its a good cut version with good quality sound, im just a bit confused how you will be able to send over £20 and how this is going to work??? holla

Ive only got Side A i never had Side B, the sound quality of Side A is good as its not actually the limewire version i had aka the vid which has been uploaded to youtube its a streamed copy from a record which sounds pretty remarkable holla when you can solve how we will do this transaction?

sweeeet!!!!! how long is the A side? and what kbps or w/e is it in?

I don't know how I can pay you, obviously neither of us wants to go first and trust a total stranger, if you have an ebay account you could set up an auction (buy it now) and I'll sort it through there? either that or go first... I can only give you my word :/ £20 is nothing compared to this tape I've listened to the bad copies for 8 years! cheers!!
Sent to: wilford1234

Hopefully I'll be back here soon with the MP3 for all you guys :)

Unfortunately, he only has the 10 minute clip which he's uploaded anyway, however this is the same tape as the low quality versions, which means the same recording in good quality is out there somewhere, the search is still on!

Nah i think thats the common copy the skips in it sound the same anyway.

---------- Post added at 15:13 ---------- Previous post was at 15:10 ----------

Unfortunately, he only has the 10 minute clip which he's uploaded anyway, however this is the same tape as the low quality versions, which means the same recording in good quality is out there somewhere, the search is still on!

Still £20 for a ten min copy of just side A is abit dear imo. The sets worth it defiantly but i would want to pay that for both sides in decent quality..

They are exactly the same file size, so I believe they are.

There are not many copies around anymore; perhaps only 1 or 2 digital copies all together. I use to have a different one, but i believe I lost it on an older computer from about 10-12 years ago. I am sure people have a tape around somewhere, but you never know. Some probably played it until the tape disintegrated.

To be honest i just listened to side B of the link said a few mins ago, and its a different copy to what i have heard. Side A sounds like the common lesser quality one but Side B had some static half way through which i dont think i heard on my other copy of Side B. But still im sure its a lesser quality one still.

Nah i think thats the common copy the skips in it sound the same anyway.

---------- Post added at 15:13 ---------- Previous post was at 15:10 ----------

Still £20 for a ten min copy of just side A is abit dear imo. The sets worth it defiantly but i would want to pay that for both sides in decent quality..

I told him the same thing, of course I never bought it, I've already downloaded it :P

Back
Top Bottom