Shure Whitelabels or... what?

Discussion in 'Drum & Bass' started by xen, Feb 16, 2008.

1. xen

xen ...innit

I'm looking for some new carts & styli for my decks.

Shure Whitelabels have always been at the top of my list, though I've not had a chance to hear how they sound. The fact they get consistently solid reviews tends to make me think that they'll sound good for both club and at-home listening (on a very good rig) and recording to my MP3 player.

However, the Concord Nightclub S (cheaper version of the Nightclub) also gets good reviews, but it is the budget version... There's also that Tonar Banana which is apparently a Nightclub S just in yellow, for a few quid less...

... But there's also alternative choices too...

So, can someone who's got real life experience (or has at least heard some of these carts & styli) weigh in with their opinion? I'm aaallllllllllllmost swayed on buying the Whitelabels, but I just want to make sure I'm not doing a very stupid thing for £135.

Thanks in advance. (y)

2. Whitelabels are class dude! I've had ortofons and Stantons in the past and Shure's are far better sounding.They have deep rich sounding bass which is a absoulute must for me. They also sound great when you record on them. They are well worth splashing out a bit extra for. Andy C has these at home and are his cartridge of choice too.

3. xen

xen ...innit

wicked dude, I'm definitely going for the whitelabels then.

Time to get HTFR to price match so I can pick them up locally :D

4. xen

xen ...innit

Quick update - hooked up my brand new Whitelabels to my 1210s today, and they sound raaaaaaather delicious.

Great stereo separation, and although I'm just listening quietly (it is 4:25am!) they sound fscking great. LOVELY frequency response, all the way up to (and past) 22kHz, a nice linear (flat) response across the frequency range with clarity and excellent bass response. On my ribbon tweeter monitors, you can really hear this frequency response being translated into lovely high frequencies, and they flatter just about everything I've thrown at them, be it D&B, funk, soul or 70s rock (a bit of Cream, anyone?), which is great - because I don't just play D&B!

I got mine from Sapphires (£125 incl. free delivery, cheapest I could find them including Thomann, which had cheaper price but €10 delivery, making them more expensive than buying from the UK). Couldn't be happier with them!

I think they look much more nicely balanced than Ortofons (unless you like that kind of anorexic look they're rocking with their headshells) and their adjustable weighting is really useful. They even come with a dinky miniature brush and cleaning tool, all in a brushed metal case :D

So, I guess I now officially recommend Whitelabels!

5. Junglist_007

Junglist_007 learning difficulties

Wicked review Xen, im going to order one now. I wasnt sure weather to buy one or not coz of the price, but reading that defo going get one. Cheers.

6. Told you they were the bollocks! ;)

7. [Politrix]

[Politrix] Peace & fucking, believe!

Used these past year now and still fairly mint considering the amount of shit i put them thru, juggling and scratching.

replacement stylus are only 20nugs

8. xen

xen ...innit

I largely decided to buy the whitelabels based on your recommendation! :D I just got another delivery of vinyl today, so some crisp new wax to break my carts in with - AND while I was at it I got a Michael Jackson Motown 7" AND a brand new copy of Innervisions on 12" (Stevie Wonder! yush). I love Juno's funk/soul section. :jackson: :slayer:

Hopefully this review will persuade others to invest in some Whitelabels... I didn't think the Ortofons were all they're cracked up to be even before I'd considered buying Whitelabels - the fact that replacement styli are so cheap for the Whitelabels is also a wicked bonus.

9. Fes Rock

Fes Rock Nothing..........

yea man, really cant fok with the whitelabels...the sound is incredible!