Shure m44-7 scrapeing

bongobongo

I just replaced my needles with some shure m44-7 on the original technics headshells. I ignored all the washers and stuff with them Cos I didn't know what to so with them so just screwed them in to the rear of the headshell with the little metal plate thing underneath.

It says the weight should be like 3. Which works for me on vinyl. However with the traktor timecodes the rear of the bottom kind of touches on the vinyl occasionally and scrapes aling unless I put the weight to like 0-1 which still works fine to be honest haven't noticed much skipping.

What should I do. Take the metal plate thing off to raise it up a bit of just use it at weight 0-1?

also search viperfranks videos for other tutorials.

first set your tonearm height.
then floating zero
then tonearm weight
then anti-skating.
in that order.

i cant stress how important it is to do this.

The tonearm should be dead level with your vinyl and the rest of the unit.
GXC1c7

ahh bollox my tone arm is fked how much am i looking for a service and repair of it? anyone got any recommendations? really cant be arsed messing about with it myself anymore just wanna mix! They were allways living life on the edge but these new needles have just pushed them over. feel to just buy some cdjs and move on with life.

Last edited:
did you say you put the metal plate UNDERNEATH? you don't need the plate at all with 44-7's, but if you do use it (on lighter carts like stanton 500's) it goes between the cart and the headshell. Easy balancing for 44-7's - 4 base height, 0 anti-skate and 3-3.5 grams tonearm weight and you will be away laughing.

if you think your tonearm is broken whats wrong with it? pics if poss

The screw baring has been messed with so needs re calibrating apparently according to utube its so hard to do you may as well get a new tone arm apparently? I can't get it to float to the middle when taking the shell off. One deck is usable by untightening the screw slightly it doesnt skip the other is knackered I'm fed up of messing about with i just wanna pay for a proper service and fix up and get mixing tbh not arsing about. Also I can't even move the black ring at the bottom there wedged so tight ? ( I know where the lock switch is).

I watched this vid and a few more to come to this conclusion that my arm is "bad " http://youtu.be/Lq2Rk7_i6hQ

May have one more try at it later today.

Last edited:
Took that weight off the headshell and tinkered with the arm screws a bit and it seems to work fine even with the dodgey tone arm for now. Will see how it goes.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom