Shuffle arrangements

mistasfx

MISTA SFX
VIP Junglist
I'll be honest, im not that creative when it comes to shuffles in my tunes and find myself hitting a brick wall when it comes to arranging my hats etc

All i seem to do is follow ya bog standard swing or 2 step arrangement ( as on the simon v website ) so do anyone care to share some their shuffle arrangements out to help a brother out?

I'll be honest, im not that creative when it comes to shuffles in my tunes and find myself hitting a brick wall when it comes to arranging my hats etc

All i seem to do is follow ya bog standard swing or 2 step arrangement ( as on the simon v website ) so do anyone care to share some their shuffle arrangements out to help a brother out?

i struggle with the exact same thing....i'll keep an eye on this thread.....althoug if you take a listen to my track "millie-rose"..on soundclud link below i had a sort of shuffle on the amen breaks before the drops......just used a standard amen edit and added a filter, it sort of worked for that track anyway,.....but would like to learn to do them myself

yeah i can always layer amen breaks but i like to do my own arrangements. im just bored doin the same old same old arrangements but cant seem to be creative enough to make my own more adventurous ones

use something like livecut or beatrepeat to automatically chop and rearrange your beat. Just start tweaking the knobs and record the output. Then go back through it and carefully pick out the very best bits and you should have some new ideas and material.

You might also find that taking a boring old amen beat by itself can get a whole new lease of life if you put in a variation of it in bar two. So, bar one is a regular amen arrangement, bar two a variation, bar three the amen, bar four another variation. Then loop that. You can get a soft of call-and-response happening which keeps stuff interesting.

Also, listen to more Jungle. The drum arrangements are often far more interesting and challenging than dnb, which is basically Bass these days with a drumtrack that's as interesting as a metronome.

Last edited:
I"m trying to eq every element on a seperate channel. Also putting every element in the pianoroll, and playing with the cutoff and res., and velocity, gives me more a certain flow to the break.

shuffling.jpg

sorry couldnt resist that image

---------- Post added at 12:36 ---------- Previous post was at 11:38 ----------

http://blackdownsoundboy.blogspot.com/2010/01/offbeat-eighths-and-all-that-jazz.html

found this - lots of detail about hat shuffles

---------- Post added at 12:36 ---------- Previous post was at 12:36 ----------

http://blackdownsoundboy.blogspot.com/2010/01/offbeat-eighths-and-all-that-jazz.html

found this - lots of detail about hat shuffles

Back
Top Bottom